Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 19 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
11-Sep-2010, 07:51 PM #1
Solved: Error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection
Okay....I am having problems with connecting to the Internet. I had a virus...something to do with Command Services and the Blue Screen error. I decided to go ahead and do the recovery thing...before I did...I couldn't connect to the Internet. I was hoping that with the recovery...it would fix the connection problem...I was wrong.
Here is my computer information:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, x86 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1982 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 296174 MB, Free - 156426 MB; D: Total - 9042 MB, Free - 621 MB; K: Total - 715402 MB, Free - 38738 MB; M: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 895889 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NODUSM3, 1.05, MS1C69S12900134
Antivirus: None

I have done the ipconfig, then the ipconfig/release, then the ipconfig/renew.....at this point, I receive an error:
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

What do I do to get back connected...I was connected before the virus. Now I can only connect with using the cable plugged in my laptop. Thank you very much for any help and information. I am sure I have really messed this up.
Alice

Oh..I do have antivirus..Norton 360...but I removed it before the recovery thing and have not replaced since I can't connect.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Sep-2010, 08:23 PM #2
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

See if that helps.
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2010, 07:50 AM #3
First, thank you for your time to help me. Second, it didn't work. When I did hte netsh int ip reset resest.log...nothing happened.
When I did hte netsh winsock reset catalog, it said it was successful. I reboot, and nothing. Again, thank you for your time and expertise.
Alice
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2010, 10:32 AM #4
What is the exact make/model of the router? Is this a wired or wireless network? If wireless, have you tried a wired connection? If a wired connection fails, have you tested the same cable and router port on another computer?
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2010, 11:30 AM #5
I am not sure what you mean about router. Sorry. It is a wired connection, and to have internet I have the wire plugged in my laptop. I have Time Warner cable, and before, it was plugged in my PC with a Wireless router...if that is what you are talking about I am not using it right now. I first called Time Warner, and they walked me through a bunch of steps and said it is my computer not the connection since I can get on the Internet with the wire plugged in the laptop. I hope I have answered your questions. And once again, thank you for your help and time!!
Alice
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2010, 04:02 PM #6
If you don't have a wireless router, how do you expect to get a wireless connection? If you do have a wireless router, I'd like to know the exact make/model of the box.
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2010, 07:37 PM #7
I am not expecting a wireless connection. I am expecting a connection with the wire plugged in my PC. The wireless router, which is not in use right now, is for my laptop. The wireless router is a D-Link, model no. DI-524. Again, this is not plugged in to my computer.
Also, thank you for your time and help.
Alice
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2010, 08:30 PM #8
What is the exact make and model of the modem that connects you to the TW service? Did you power cycle the modem and reboot the computer?
Computer Specs

13-Sep-2010, 07:11 AM #9
I now have internet. You are the best. I wasn't sure what power cycle the modem was, but after researching and doing it, I know have internet on my PC. Now to figure out how to set up the wireless dlink again. Thank you again for your help!!!!
Alice
Computer Specs

13-Sep-2010, 08:31 AM #10
Let's start by getting the router working with wired connections, that will allow multiple computers to connect. After that, we can guide you through the wireless setup.

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
  • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Disconnect any USB connection to the modem, it will not be used.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2010, 06:41 AM #11
Okay..I am back. Sorry it has taken me so long. I have also been setting my computer back up with the updates from four years past. My wireless router is set up, now I am having a problem with my laptop. I can see the wireless connection. When I attempt to connect, it tells me there is a low signal. But, there are 4 of the 5 bars for the signal. My laptop has Windows Vista instead of XP. I am not sure what other information you need. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for helping me.
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2010, 08:14 AM #12
I'm going to guess the previous reset procedure got the router working with wired connections?

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2010, 12:27 PM #13
Here is the screen shot from Xirrus Wi Fi Inspector. My wireless network is the Jones Network, which I can see but not connect to. Thank you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection-xirrus-screen-shot.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,000 posts.

16-Sep-2010, 12:49 PM #14
Try channels 1 and 11.
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2010, 07:34 PM #15
TerryNet,
Thanks for the suggestion. Neither channel worked. Any other ideas?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!