Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Non-profit file sharing/storage

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 354 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Sep-2010, 01:19 PM #1
Non-profit file sharing/storage
Howdy. I work for a non-profit, with six full time employees. We all live in different communities in the US; three use Windows Vista (including the headquarters) and three of us use Mac OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard). I am the most tech savvy of the entire group by far. So I have to teach even the Windows users how to do things. And now we have had the main office employee who quit without notice.

Unfortunately our main office is co-located with another non-proft but we have to use the IT on campus of the other corporation, which means they have access to all info into and out (nothing to do about that). The internet access is through the line on campus. (I do not live on the campus, but visit 3-4 times a year; next visit is in two weeks).

We need a way of sharing documents (word processing, spreadsheets, pdf's, and assorted other files) and a storage facility where we have control over it. We would like it to be as simple as drag and drop from any of the computers (similar to an intranet when I worked in corporate America). What is the best approach? My thought was to rent server space. But I have no idea what is expected, how much work it would entail on our side, etc.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

Rich
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,280 posts.

17-Sep-2010, 02:09 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exegete View Post
We would like it to be as simple as drag and drop from any of the computers (similar to an intranet when I worked in corporate America).
Would a service like DropBox work for you? Up to 2GB of storage is free.
Computer Specs
Member with 354 posts.

17-Sep-2010, 03:40 PM #3
Thanks. I have sent the link to all others and we will test over the next two weeks.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,280 posts.

17-Sep-2010, 03:45 PM #4
You're welcome. Please be sure to report back here to let us know if it works out for you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!