Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

File Sharing to selected PC's

(!)

Junior Member with 16 posts.

19-Sep-2010, 05:30 PM #1
File Sharing to selected PC's
I have 9 computers in total (all are using XP Pro), 1 of which is being used as the main computer where all my files are stored- the other 8 PC's connect to this 1 computer using a workgroup system to share files.

What i would now like to do though is share another set of additional folders with 3 of the 8 computers, so 3 can access these folders while the other 5 cannot. (While still sharing the previous folders that im already sharing).

So 2 different folders, 1 being shared with all 8 computers. Another folder being shared with only 3 computers.

Ive been googling how to do this but i thought it may be best to ask on here and see if someone could guide me better into performing this. Any help would be appreciated.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

19-Sep-2010, 05:54 PM #2
Windows file shares are based on user accounts. So, for the folders to be shared with specific people, just remove the Everybody from the permissions and only share them with specific user accounts. All of the workstations should have unique name/password logins, and the main computer should have a matching user account for each of the connecting workstations.
Junior Member with 16 posts.

19-Sep-2010, 06:03 PM #3
ok so in the permissions tab i should put the username of the person that i want to access the file, should i leave anything else in there?

And what about the security tab, what should be in there?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

19-Sep-2010, 06:12 PM #4
Make sure Simple Sharing is NOT enabled.

Right click on the shared folder and select the Security tab.

Remove Everyone and add the specific users that you wish to grant access.
Attached Thumbnails
File Sharing to selected PC's-permission.jpg  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
file sharing, networking, share, sharing, workgroup

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!