Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HELP: IP Camera WiFi set up

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

29-Sep-2010, 10:02 AM #1
HELP: IP Camera WiFi set up
I have IP Camera (Wifi capable), can you please help me how set up using wireless (WIfi).

I can access the camera through WIRED, but when I removed the wire I can't find the IP Camera.

I have Netgear and 1Mbps internet speed....please help.

Thank you in advance
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,263 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2010, 10:23 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fce View Post
I have IP Camera (Wifi capable)I can access the camera through WIRED, ...
Assuming the camera has them, did you try using your web browser to log into the camera's WiFi settings page(s) while using a wired connection? You may have to specifically enable WiFi on the camera and then set it to connect to your WiFi network.
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

29-Sep-2010, 10:40 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwozniak View Post
Assuming the camera has them, did you try using your web browser to log into the camera's WiFi settings page(s) while using a wired connection?
yes

Quote:
You may have to specifically enable WiFi on the camera and then set it to connect to your WiFi network.
how to set it to connect to my WiFi?

I already click "save" when I choose the SSID name on my IP camera web browser.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2010, 10:51 AM #4
Check your router's DHCP settings, and LAN sub-net mask settings to see if there are available LAN IP addresses outside of the DHCP range. If there are no addresses outside of the DHCP range, you will need to change the DHCP range to free some up. Then set the camera to use a static IP address outside of the DHCP range for the wireless connection. Any address outside of the DHCP range but within the sub-net range will work as long as you know of no other device is using that address.
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

29-Sep-2010, 11:31 AM #5
Quote:
Check your router's DHCP settings, and LAN sub-net mask settings to see if there are available LAN IP addresses outside of the DHCP range. If there are no addresses outside of the DHCP range, you will need to change the DHCP range to free some up. Then set the camera to use a static IP address outside of the DHCP range for the wireless connection. Any address outside of the DHCP range but within the sub-net range will work as long as you know of no other device is using that address.
this is done....problem still exist
Computer Specs

29-Sep-2010, 11:56 AM #6
Assuming you have WiFi encryption enabled on the router, have you confirmed the camera supports the encryption method and that you have the correct passphrase entered in the camera.

Does the router have any kind of filtering in place to restrict WiFi access?

Are any other computers wirelessly connecting to the router with no problems?
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

30-Sep-2010, 03:38 AM #7
Quote:
Assuming you have WiFi encryption enabled on the router, have you confirmed the camera supports the encryption method and that you have the correct passphrase entered in the camera.

I have 2 laptop here, both can connect to router without any problem.

I don't know if there's any kind of filtering with my Netgear router. When I bought it I didn't change anything except the password, SSID and encryption.

Both my router and IP camer have the same encryption too.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,846 posts.

30-Sep-2010, 03:47 AM #8
try taking the security off completely as a test and see if the cameras connect - also switch the router off and cameras and then switch router on allow to settle, next the cameras - see if they connect now
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

02-Oct-2010, 06:29 PM #9
how to set up on WiFi parameters, such as Authentication parameters?
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

02-Oct-2010, 06:48 PM #10
Quote:

can you please teach me how to do this....found your reply on other thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfpipe View Post
Would you mind giving me the basic steps on how to forward the port through the router?
Have the camera configured to have a static IP address on your LAN or have the router reserve a specific DHCP LAN address for the camera based on its MAC address.

Check the camera documentation to find out which ports it uses for viewing and control and if the ports use TCP or UDP. The camera may also allow you to change its default port assignments.

Configure the router to forward given port numbers on the WAN side to the camera ports on the LAN side. Port numbers on the WAN side do not need to match the camera port numbers on the LAN side.

If your broadband modem is running NAT, you will also need to configure port forwarding on it as well. If the modem is running as a bridge, you should not need to worry about port forwarding on the modem.

If your router supports Dynamic DNS services, you can use it keep your public IP address up to date with the service. Otherwise you will need to keep a computer on your LAN turned on and running a Dynamic DNS updater program.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-Oct-2010, 07:26 PM #11
Well, port forwarding is specific to the make and model of the router, so you'll have to supply those first.
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

02-Oct-2010, 09:49 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
Well, port forwarding is specific to the make and model of the router, so you'll have to supply those first.
Wireless-N 150 Router model WNR1000
Computer Specs

03-Oct-2010, 11:02 AM #13
See the attached graphics, you can add multiple ports in a range, or simply add individual ports.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP: IP Camera WiFi set up-forward1.jpg   HELP: IP Camera WiFi set up-forward2.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

03-Oct-2010, 12:00 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
See the attached graphics, you can add multiple ports in a range, or simply add individual ports.
re: picture #2

Service name is equal to the name of IP Camera?

What is local network IP #, is it the IP # on my camera?

Trigerring port = 80 (same on my IP Camera)?

what is the port start and end port range? where can I get that value?

Sorry, I have zero knowledge on this. Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs

03-Oct-2010, 03:01 PM #15
Service name can be anything, it's just for visual identification.

IP address is the camera, which should be on a fixed IP address.

The port start and end is whatever the camera documentation says it is.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!