Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet slowing down over time

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

07-Oct-2010, 12:35 PM #1
Question Internet slowing down over time
Hey guys i rly need some help with my internet problem and i found out this site while google-ing for solutions...Hope u can help me cuz im not that good at fixing stuff like that...

Ok, so my internet connection slows down over time... Everytime i restart my -computer- though, it returns back to its normal speed (restarting the -router- gives no result) . But after about 10-20 minutes or so, the same problem appears...It slows down to the point where it opens a page for 3-4 minutes or so...I dont know what to do anymore, i checked the cables, ran anti-virus programs, defragmented my drives, ran a registry cleaner and so on...I also noticed that my download speed seems not to be affected by this.Also im receiving a huge amount of packets, and not sending as much...When i didnt have this problem, the sent/received would be close to each other as a number...

Im running Windows 7 on an HP compaq 6715s notebook . The notebook is connected to an indoor Thomson router .

Any help or tips would be appreciated Thanks in advance
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Oct-2010, 12:47 PM #2
www.speedtest.net
Give us some numbers, running the test after you reboot the computer and after 10-20 minutes.
Send/receive numbers they are not close to each other. Usually for residential areas ADSL (broadband) is used. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmet...ubscriber_Line. The download is way bigger than upload. For example the send bit is something like 256-512k/s and the download is something between 2-8-10 or more MB.

07-Oct-2010, 01:46 PM #3
This is the result after it slows down (10-20 mins as stated above) -
Download speed - 0.25 Mbps
Upload speed - 0.02 Mbs
Ping - 7546 ms

After reboot -
Download speed – 1.62 mbs
Upload speed – 0.14 mbs
Ping – 25 ms

Ok, I guess it affects the download speed after all…..The results after reboot are not far away to the actual speed my internet had before this problem occurred though...It was never that fast to begin with ;P Judging by the “mp3/video clip/movie” download times anyway...For example - song download (5mb) - 42 sec . Which is pretty normal

So, any ides ?

Last edited by radditzgt; 07-Oct-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Computer Specs

07-Oct-2010, 01:58 PM #4
It seems to me that is something that something is wrong with your router settings or your line. Try first to reset (hardware reset like pushing a pin into a hole in the back of your modem or check if it has something specific like a button marked RESET) the router. Restarting it doesn`t cut it. Make sure that you have your details handy (installation CD, username, passwd) or copy `em from the modem config page if it has one. Look into Thompson webpage for your specific model, for resetting procedure. After reset put the details back in (using the CD that came with it or check the manual beforehand). Try the website again. Let us know if anything is changed.

07-Oct-2010, 03:59 PM #5
Restarted the router and messed around with the settings but nothing helps...Found out something interesting though . The speed doesent return back to normal on reboot but rather when i unplug the internet cable on the back of the laptop and plug it back in...Guess i gotta call my internet provider after all...If i get more info on the problem ill post it . Thank you for the help so far, it was rly usefull
Computer Specs

07-Oct-2010, 04:08 PM #6
Would be interesting if you can test your connection with a different computer (laptop).Just borrow a friend`s for 1 hour and try the same things. You will realise if the computer is to blame or the router.
Good luck!

PS. Be careful with asking the ISP provider to come over there and have a look. Usually they don`t do it for free. If you are a BT customer and located in UK you can use http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...oadband/faster
Junior Member with 1 posts.

08-Oct-2010, 07:50 PM #7
that is strange... I run my laptop on linux mint and i get the same problem. just one thing is diffrent from yours is wifi.

Connection speed: download 10 mbps / upload 1 mbps 25 ping
slows down after 30 min to 0.02 mbps / 0.001 mbps 25 ping (no p2p)
after reboot i get normal speed.

hmm..

09-Oct-2010, 12:07 PM #8
Be sure to tell me if u find a way to fix it...I still haven't...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connection, internet, problem, slow

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!