Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Disconnecting from the internet every 5 mins

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

08-Oct-2010, 12:24 PM #1
Disconnecting from the internet every 5 mins
This seems to be a difficult problem to diagnose. My computer disconnects from the internet every 5 minutes. I have a Dell Latitude D610 system Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Intel (R) Pentium (R) M. Processor 1.68 ghz .99 gb ram. I use a TP Link wireless router 150M. It is connected to a ChinaNet SmartAX MT880r modem. I am in China. I do not know what other info is needed. The problem has been consistent. I even get disconnected when the cable is plugged into myu computer. I have another computer a DELL Vostro that connects fine. Aswell as a Sony Vio. I can connect to other networks fine in other locations. I am not far from my router and my router and modem are about four feet away from each other. There are no other devices near them. It does not matter if the other computers are on and connected to the internet wirelessly or no, the problem still happens. I have tried using google chrome, internet explorer and firefox and the same thing happens. On a side note, I do not know if this is linked but I have a lot of difficulty downloading software. I have tried to download Zune software several times but continue to encounter problems with my computer accepting it. This happens with every download I try. I cannot get any new software from the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by blitz92626; 08-Oct-2010 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Also, there are other very weak signals from networks in the area.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

08-Oct-2010, 10:13 PM #2
What do you have to do to get reconnected after the ethernet disconnects? Same question for the wireless?

What, if any, non-Windows firewall or security suite do you have on the machine?

See if these repairs help ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

11-Oct-2010, 05:18 AM #3
Thank you for your reply. It reacquires the signal on its own in about 30 seconds each time. With or without the cable. I tried what you asked me to. I was able to reset the WINSOCK entries but when it came to the TCP/IP nothing happened. It just prompted me to enter a command. I also could not shut down the RUN program. The computer said it was still running. I waited a while and had to shut it down by hitting END NOW. I restarted my machine and nothing. I am still getting disconnected. I do not know what other firewall setting I have. I do not know how to find out. I know I have a Broadcom security platform and Avast antivirus. I know that this signal is coming in on channel 11 along with two other weak signals. I do not know how to adjust the channels on my router. I look at it and there is nothing to change the channels. What ells can I do?

Last edited by blitz92626; 11-Oct-2010 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: It reacquires the signal with or without the cable.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 11:03 AM #4
If it exhibits this behavior with a wired connection, it's not anything to do with wireless.

Did you try in Safe Mode with Networking with a wired connection? Does it still have the problem that way?

11-Oct-2010, 10:02 PM #5
No I have not tried that. How do I open safe mode?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

11-Oct-2010, 10:03 PM #6
Tap F8 after turning the PC on (or rebooting) until you get the Windows boot menu. If Windows starts loading in normal mode you were too slow and have to try again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!