Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop can't detect any wireless network

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

13-Oct-2010, 05:02 AM #1
Laptop can't detect any wireless network
Hello,

I've tried searching and searching for solutions but I can't find any. Okay, here's my problem. My laptop can't detect any wireless network but I'm sure the router is working well because my PSP can connect to it. Also, when I plug in my Wireless USB adapter, I can easily get a signal. I think last week it was working right. I installed my "wireless USB adapter" 2 days ago then I checked my wireless adapter, poof.. I can't connect anymore. But the USB adapter works well, that's what I'm using sometimes instead of my built-in wireless card (RaLink RT2561/RT2661 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN).

My laptop is Advent 7302. You can see the full specs here - http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7302.htm

I uninstalled my wireless card and reinstalled it. I even downloaded the lastest driver from Ralink.

- Router's SSID is broadcasting.
- Wireless adapter is enabled.
- I tried to disable AVG's firewall, still no good. (I can connect with my USB adapter even if it is enabled).
- Installed the lastest driver of my netword card.
- Network card is turned on.

I didn't make any changes at all. I just installed my USB wireless adapter.

Btw, when I open Ralink Config Utility, I can switch to AP mode. I don't know what does it do though so I assume my network card is still good.

Here's my IPCONFIG /ALL (up to wireless adapter only)

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : zhyptyx
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ralink Wireless LAN Card V2 #3
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-F0-3A-D0-41
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Here's a screenshot of my Device Manager

If there's some info that I missed, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

-Abe
Attached Thumbnails
Laptop can't detect any wireless network-qwerty.jpg  
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

13-Oct-2010, 08:21 AM #2
Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

13-Oct-2010, 09:13 AM #3
Hi JohnWill,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it and admire you for your kindness and helpfulness.

Anyway, I did Xirrus a while ago. I've read your replies from other threads so I did it in advance.I was about to edit my first post and include the Xirrus results but your reply got in first.

Well, when I run Xirrus (as an Admin), nothing shows up. My wireless adapter doesn't show up. I can enable/disable it though from there. But when I plugged in my USB wireless adapter, I got some stuffs in it.

Here are the screenies:

Scene 1) My network card is on and shows nothing on Xirrus. Can be enabled/disabled though so it's detected.

Scene 2) My wireless USB adapter is plugged in to my laptop and got some stuffs in. My network card still not showing up. I blackout some important info.

Here's another catch. I can put my network card into AP mode through Ralink Wireless Utility but I don't know what it does. If it's in AP mode, it just shows like this:

I hope those info helps. If you need more info, just let me know.

Thanks,
Abe

Last edited by bharken; 13-Oct-2010 at 09:19 AM..
Computer Specs

13-Oct-2010, 11:02 AM #4
Putting it into AP mode is if you want to let other uses connect through your computer, I don't think this is want you want.

13-Oct-2010, 11:17 AM #5
Yes, it's not. What I was trying to say is my network card is still good. I think there's just something wrong with the configuration or something to make it work again.
Computer Specs

13-Oct-2010, 07:38 PM #6
Well, I'd reload the drivers and make SURE it's actually enabled. You can also open up the access door on the bottom of the laptop and reseat the card.

13-Oct-2010, 09:02 PM #7
Okay John, I will try that one. I will completely uninstall my network card again and try to reseat it if I can, then reinstall. I haven't open a laptop yet, I only know desktop. But it's worth it to explore. If it still doesn't work, any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Abe
Computer Specs

14-Oct-2010, 08:29 AM #8
If you are SURE the wireless is enabled (function key or switch), you have reseated the card, and you've installed a fresh driver, the card may have died.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
wifi problem, wireless adapter

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!