Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't load some web sites- Firefox & Explorer

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Oct-2010, 07:00 PM #1
Can't load some web sites- Firefox & Explorer
We have a multi-port modem which also does wireless. While we can open all websites on my partner's PC (plugged in to the modem, ADSL 2 internet) my PC (also plugged in) and my laptop (wireless) refuse to open the open occasional website (eg baby bunting, iinet). This is the same for both Internet Explorer and Firefox. The page just cycles through till timing out without loading anything.
My PC is running Windows XP Pro and the laptop is on Windows 7 (both up-to-date), while my partner's PC is on Windows XP Home. On the laptop I've tried disabling the firewall, loading a different firewall, loading different virus scanning software, un-installing and re-installing firefox completely, and un-installing and re-installing Flash (working fine) and un-installing Skype & pluggins, to no avail. I haven't yet uninstalled Spybot (I don't have Teatimer) but my partner has this on his PC (he also has the same firewall and virus software I currently have on both machines). I have no other anti-virus/malware software.
Help! This is not crippling, but just really annoying!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,245 posts.

14-Oct-2010, 09:45 PM #2
Are you and your partner both using the same DNS server? If you don't know how to check that please show for his PC and one of yours ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Oct-2010, 10:33 PM #3
For the record, we both do have the same DNS server, although magically all websites are working fine on the PCs and laptop as of this morning. Not sure if this was an instance of demonstrating a faulty appliance in front of the repair man, Murphy's Law, or one for the conspiracy theorists.
Thanks for you help anyhow.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,245 posts.

16-Oct-2010, 09:34 AM #4
You're welcome. It was probably the faulty appliance phenomenon.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
loading web pages, web browsing

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!