Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Modem drops connection intermittantly..

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

28-Oct-2010, 02:25 PM #1
Modem drops connection intermittantly..
Hello all

I have time warner cable and my Ambit modem stops working suddenly every now and then. i thought it might be because of the router, then bought a new router but the problem still exists. that day the cable guy came and gave another ambit modem but i saw the problem again today. usually i notice a yellow exclamatory sign on the internet icon in the taskbar, and then "send" light in the modem goes off, then i power off and on the modem and everything comes back. when i directly connected the modem to the laptop for 2-3 days i didnt see any problem though. where is the problem?, please help.. the cable guys are of no help..
i am on windows 7..
Member with 435 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Oct-2010, 05:06 PM #2
The problem is most likely with Time Warner. The connection between your cable modem and the gateway at Time Warner is being dropped. You can confirm this when the Internet connection drops out again by pinging the IP address of your router (probably either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1). The router pings, the problem is with the cable company or their equipment.

Unfortunately, this means you have to keep bugging them until they fix it.

29-Oct-2010, 01:00 AM #3
thanks a lot for the quick reply, really appreciate it.. i am kind of novice with these things, could you please explain how to ping the router as you have advised..? thanks in advance..
mine is a ASUS router..
Member with 435 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Oct-2010, 12:05 PM #4
Open a Command Prompt window. Then type the following command (plus Enter):

Code:
ping 192.168.1.1
This is the correct IP address for your router. If the router is working, you'll get the following response:

Code:
Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

31-Oct-2010, 12:59 AM #5
today i pinged the router when the connection was dropped. have attached it here, pls tell what it says..
Attached Thumbnails
Modem drops connection intermittantly..-untitled.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,703 posts.

31-Oct-2010, 10:16 AM #6
It says that you are still communicating with the router. Your earlier test with the router bypassed indicates (doesn't "prove" because the problem is intermittent) that the ISP and modem are not the cause of the disconnects. So, the router dropping connection to the modem is the likely problem. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. Then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

However, the fact that power cycling the modem restores connection indicates a modem or ISP problem.

However, the Send light going off indicates a problem with your cabling (between modem and the ISP's cable), the modem or the ISP.

If possible get your ISP's tech support to test the connection at the time that your computer has no internet access.

31-Oct-2010, 12:14 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Your earlier test with the router bypassed indicates (doesn't "prove" because the problem is intermittent) that the ISP and modem are not the cause of the disconnects. So, the router dropping connection to the modem is the likely problem. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. Then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.
i have used two different routers (one of them is bought 2 weeks back only) and got the same problem, therefore it is highly unlikely that the problem is bcoz of the router..
as i mentioned in the first post, the cable guys came 1 week back and gave a new modem (same brand) and did something with the cable wall outlet , now after that although the disconnect problem occurs, it reconnects of its own (within a min or two), earlier i had to power off & on the modem.. if thats says something..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!