Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Linksys WRT54G router WLAN light off - no internet access via router AT ALL.

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

03-Nov-2010, 09:36 PM #1
Solved: Linksys WRT54G router WLAN light off - no internet access via router AT ALL.
Hello,

Short story even shorter, there was a semi-power outage this morning (lights were very dim but power wasn't totally off), and when the power came back on my router stopped working. Here's what I know:

-The WLAN LED is no longer lit so there's no wireless. That orange CiscoSystems button is no longer glowing orange either if that means much.

-For some odd reason a wired connection through any of the ethernet ports on the router no longer works either, though the LED's still light up when connected, along with the internet LED.

-The modem works fine, I'm connected to the internet directly from the modem right now.

-I've tried to reset the router, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

-I've tried to access the router config settings, and the page doesn't load.

-I've tried to look up the routers ip address through the command prompt but when I enter the command "ipconfig" when I'm wired through the router I always get the response something along the lines of "media disconnected". When I try the command when connected directly to the modem the default gateway ip address comes up as '68.43.36.1'. This doesn't work either.

I've been searching the web for solutions for hours and I can't find one. This is actually the first time I've ever had to post a thread asking for help and I've experienced a slew of computer problems over the years, lol.

It may very well be that the router is fried, but I'm just trying to exhaust my options.

I'll appreciate it to no end if someone can help me solve this problem in a way that doesn't require me to buy a new one, lol.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 45 posts.

Experience: i can build computers
03-Nov-2010, 11:47 PM #2
Hey I'm not an expert on routers but it does sound like its been ruined. Maybe there was a power surge?. If you go out to buy another router though read reviews online before purchasing one. I purchesed a wirless "N" router by linksys once and it wasnt a true wireless n router and was a waste of money. i am currently using a netgear router that i am verry happy with. hope u get ur problem fixed without buying a new one.

04-Nov-2010, 09:44 AM #3
^ I sure hope not, and I'll keep what you said in mind if it comes to that. Thanks.

Can anyone help me out?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,939 posts.

04-Nov-2010, 11:49 AM #4
what version is this
with the power on and when you reset and hold the reset button in - what happens

i have seen on other makes / models - unplug the router - hold the reset button in and then plug in again, not in any of the manuals for this model - BUT you dont have much to lose - hence the suggestion

04-Nov-2010, 02:30 PM #5
^ Its a wrt54g V8

When I hold the reset button on with the power on, it doesn't seem to respond, nothing happens at all.

I just tried your suggestion with plugging in the router while the reset button is held. It seems to at least respond to that. The power LED started blinking for a while when I plugged it back in, but as I am typing this, I now see that the Power LED is off altogether, but through this process the Ethernet and internet LEDs have been doing their typical flickering and still are.

EDIT:
I just took out the internet and ethernet cords so I could access the web to reply, btw, so now there are no lights on at all, but it is still plugged in. Just letting you know in case that is important or not
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2010, 02:45 PM #6
have you tried a reset with nothing connected - sounds like a new router is on the cards

04-Nov-2010, 02:58 PM #7
^ I just tried resetting while powered on and holding reset and then plugging in the power cord with nothing else attached, but still the same result in both cases.
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2010, 03:05 PM #8
i would now say its time to look for a good deal on a replacement

04-Nov-2010, 03:13 PM #9
^ Awww crap, but hey, at least I now know not to waste anymore time on it.

Thanks a lot for your assistance, etaf.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 10,083 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Nov-2010, 03:17 PM #10
If you're satisfied with this answer, mark this thread as "Solved." You can find this button in the top left corner of the thread. A preview is located below.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Linksys WRT54G router WLAN light off - no internet access via router AT ALL.-.jpg  

04-Nov-2010, 03:19 PM #11
alright, will do.
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2010, 03:20 PM #12
it suppose it might be worth a call into linksys, although my experience of their support line in UK was pretty poor and took a while before they answered the phone - but i cant see anything else

not sure which country you are in
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/countryselection

04-Nov-2010, 03:37 PM #13
^Right, I live in the US, so I'm not sure how well it'll work, but it's definitely worth a try. Thanks for reminding me, I was already browsing amazon.com, lol.
Computer Specs

04-Nov-2010, 03:54 PM #14
on the US site http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys support section I notice there is a the live chat option, I have had a lot of success with live chat in the UK with tech companies - I would give that a go
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!