Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help with Dell Vostro 1510

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
07-Nov-2010, 10:25 PM #1
Help with Dell Vostro 1510
ok would someone please help me, i have a dell Vostro 1510 laptop. Awhile back i downloaded antivirus thinking it would help my computer, come to find out, it destroyed it. After the Antivirus was downloaded, my computer crashed. I couldnt get it to stay on for longer than 2 minutes. Just now i got it to stay on, its been on for almost an hour. The problem is, i dont have a start menu or anything but my background from before. The internet is completely not working either. it is telling me i need to do stuff with my proxy settings? I need a HTTP: a Secure: a FTP: and a Socks: and also with these four things i need a Port for each of them. You must know i know nothing about computers. i really want to fix it though. could someone please help me if anyone knows what is going on with my laptop??? it would really be appreciated!
Thanks so much, Samantha Jo!
Senior Member with 984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Nov-2010, 04:17 AM #2
Hi,

Can you try booting into Safe Mode. To get into the Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Options Menu". Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

This will hopefully bootup into windows with the START menu available amongst other things.

Then I want you to try a Windows System Restore. You did not mention what operating system is running on the Dell laptop. Assuming it is Windows XP try the following:

To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:
  1. Log on to Windows as an administrator.
  2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
    Collapse this imageExpand this image

3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next.

4. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.
    Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
  6. Log on to the computer as an Administrator. Then click OK on the System Restore Restoration Complete page.
If you successfully restored your computer to a previous state, and the computer performs as expected, you are finished.

Pick a date before you installed the antivirus program?

If this does not work please tell us what is the name of the Antivirus program you installed? Waht operating system runs on the laptop...Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7?

Let us know how you get on?
Senior Member with 984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Nov-2010, 04:20 AM #3
P.S. You may not have to worry about being the Administrator. Just try System Restore with your normal login to the laptop!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
antivirus, networking, proxy server

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!