Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Should I buy my own router/modem?

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

24-Nov-2010, 01:27 PM #1
Solved: Should I buy my own router/modem?
I have Verizon Fios and have intermittent, limited access at best. I need to reboot modem/router (don't know which one it is that they supply) and use the Verizon In Home Agent several times a week.

I was wondering if I bought my own, if it would improve my connectivity? I was looking at a Belkin Surf Wireless N Router, because it's affordable. Or should I just call Verizon and have them "replace" it again.....they replace it every so often, saying it's old.
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

24-Nov-2010, 01:37 PM #2
Johnwill is the best person to answer this question. He is the only one I know who has fios around here.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,369 posts.

24-Nov-2010, 03:21 PM #3
What is the brand and model of your current modem or modem/router? If a separate unit, what is the brand and model of your router?

24-Nov-2010, 04:14 PM #4
Verizon Actiontec M1424-WR Rev E
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2010, 04:33 PM #5
Read this discussion.

That's pretty much in line with what JohnWill has been saying about the issue with that special router. If you have TV you want to keep it, disable the (poor) wireless, and add another router in one of several ways.

The way you described your problem I cannot tell if you have "only" a wireless issue, or if you lose ethernet internet access also. If the latter, then adding another router is unlikely to help.

24-Nov-2010, 06:21 PM #6
I don't get what you mean? That piece of equipment is upstairs and doesn't have anything to do with my tv. Is that pc. of equip. a router or a modem, or both? It is only my internet that has limited connectivity, or drops connection or has intermittent problems....daily! I'm not sure if I'm helping you out, at all? Maybe I'm confused on routers and modems.....a modem connects you to the internet, but what does a router do? Or does mine have to be a combo unit, since I have wireless throughout the house?
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2010, 06:46 PM #7
As I said in my previous post it is a (special) router.

The modem used for Verizon FiOS is am "Optical Network Terminal (ONT)."

The box that we typically call a router contains various elements; the actual "router" function is Network Address Translation (NAT), which controls/routes traffic between two networks--usually the internet and a Local Area Network. Other parts found in many routers are an ethernet switch, wireless access point and Dhcp server.

24-Nov-2010, 08:46 PM #8
Thank you to Terrynet and Squashman!!!
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2010, 09:42 PM #9
You're welcome. But, what was the solution?

24-Nov-2010, 09:51 PM #10
I'm not going to buy a router and I'm going to call Verizon and have them replace it.......while they're here, not let them leave till my connectivity is good. And then continue to call them each and every time it goes out.....hahaha....I'm unemployed anyway, what the heck!
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2010, 10:08 PM #11
OK, but do you want to do something in parallel with that? If so, see if you get disconnections on an ethernet connection at the same time as with wireless. That's a worthwhile answer to determine the next trouble shooting step.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!