Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: IP Address error d-link DI-524

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Nov-2010, 01:55 AM #1
Solved: IP Address error d-link DI-524
I'm attempting to install a D-Link DI-524 and am receiving an INVALID IP ADDRESS error in their auto configure process. I have had other routers installed on this PC without issue. How do I access the DI-524 to see what values are presently in there for IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway? and then how do I change them to reflect the correct locations which I have. HELP!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,060 posts.

27-Nov-2010, 06:03 AM #2
To log into that router

Open the web browser
Type in the IP Address of the Router (http://192.168.0.1)
Type admin in the User Name field Leave the Password blank
Click OK

post back from the PC connected to the router by cable

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste

27-Nov-2010, 11:06 AM #3
Here is the IPCONFIG results from the host PC using another router [the one I am attempting to replace] to access the internet. As you can see, all the controller's addresses are as they should be [I think], DHCP enabled, etc.
Meanwhile, I am not able to log onto the DI-524 when connected to this PC via ethernet cable using the addr http://192.168.0.1 . It does not take me to the LOGIN screen, but rather displays a page titled FIRMWARE UPDATE then inviting me to browse My Computer for a binary file to upload with all kinds of cautions. Thus I am not able [yet] to access the router Setup Wizard. I am thinking that the router factory default is set to using a STATIC IP vs DYNAMIC IP thus the mismatch when the router [during setup] tries to validate the modem's IP ADDRESS. Any suggestions that would get me by the FIRMWARE UPDATE screen and to the LOGIN screen instead?
thanks

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOUR-96D087D881
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-90-4B-0D
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:14:03
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 28, 2010 5:14:03 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

27-Nov-2010, 11:11 AM #4
By the way, with the DI-524 connected via ethernet cable to this host PC, I AM able to successfully ping it at 192.168.0.1 which only confuses me more as to why I cannot access its LOGIN area/Setup Wizard...
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 11:16 AM #5
Looking at the manual - that should be part of the tools menu
cant see anything that says it will appear on its own

Just checked the DD-WRT database and that router does not support that firmware - just in case it had been updated

Quote:
Step 2
Take a paperclip and perform a hard reset. With the unit on, use a paperclip and hold down the reset button on the back of the unit for 10 seconds. Release it and the router will recycle, the lights will blink, and then stabilize.
Step 3
After the router stabilizes, open your browser and enter 192.168.0.1 into the address window and hit the Enter key. When the password dialog box appears, enter the username admin and leave the password blank. Click OK.
If the password dialog box does not come up repeat Step 2.
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 11:18 AM #6
we crossed posts

Are you using internet explorer , I know some routers will not work correctly with firefox, chrome etc

27-Nov-2010, 02:10 PM #7
I am using Internet Explorer.
check me out on this pls: I have moved the access-the-router operation to my laptop which is CONNECTED via my LAN to the internet. I have the router connected by ethernet cable from the laptop to the MDIX WAN port of the router [correct?] I open I/E, type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and enter. The login dialog box opens; enter username 'admin'; leave password blank. click OK. At that point, I am able to PING the DI-524 successfully. The Configuration Menu/Setup Wizard has NOT appeared. How to get it to launch? Note: the IP address on the DI-524 per IPCONFIG being run on laptop with router connected viz ethernet cable as decribed above is 192.168.0.101! All other address values match those on the host's controller as I gave you before.
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 02:19 PM #8
Quote:
I have the router connected by ethernet cable from the laptop to the MDIX WAN port of the router [correct?]
NO , that's the connection for a Modem

Plug the Ethernet cable from the PC into one of the LAN connections Labelled 1 to 4

27-Nov-2010, 02:34 PM #9
Having changed to LAN port, I am still able to PING 192.168.0.1, but I cannot LOGIN. Enter lower case 'admin', leave password blank, OK, login dialog box only reappears. Tried 'admin' & 'password' with no luck. I no I am doing something wrong, but I am beginning to wonder if the unit itself isnt faulty. Doing a hard reset, for example, made no difference in the front LEDs, i.e. router did NOT reboot.... unplugged it and reconnected... repeated LOGIN attempts... still cannot logon... ideas?

27-Nov-2010, 02:36 PM #10
Not happening!
Type
admin in the User
Name
field
Leave the
Password blank
Click
OK

Whenever you want to configure your network or the
DI-524, you can access the Configuration Menu by
opening the web-browser and typing in the IP Address
of the DI-524. The DI-524 default IP Address is shown
at right:
��
Open the web browser

��
Type in the IP Address of
the Router (http://192.168.0.1)

��
Using the Configuration Menu
Home > Wizard
The Home>Wizard
screen will appear.
Please refer to the
Quick Installation
Guide
for more information
regarding the

Setup Wizard.
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 03:42 PM #11
how old is the router - the reset should work as described - if not the unit may be faulty - however, switch it off and leave it alone for a while say an hour and then try again, may sound silly , but a few times that has been suggested by other posters and worked - possibly a heating issue

27-Nov-2010, 03:50 PM #12
Sadly, the unit is brand new though I have had it kicking around for three years! I decided I wanted to install it, as it has a user-changeable antenna and I wanted to have a router on which I could install a higher gain antenna.
I am presently using a new N_Tenda router, hoping to see an increase in thurput on my LAN. But as the wireless laptop is a "G" device, I am actually seeing a reduced speed at the laptop with the new router....
And of course, I cannot find the configuration disk of the Netgear "G" router that preceeded the Tenda so I cant [easily] go back to the Netgear... hence the D-Link which I had kicking aaround NIB.

Sure wish I could understand why I am not able to LOGIN to it.
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 04:01 PM #13
Quote:
Sure wish I could understand why I am not able to LOGIN to it.
it may simply be its broken

Quote:
And of course, I cannot find the configuration disk of the Netgear "G" router that preceeded the Tenda so I cant [easily] go back to the Netgear... hence the D-Link which I had kicking aaround NIB.
You do not need CD to set up a router - so if you want to go back to netgear you can
Post back the exact model and we can go through the setup

Quote:
But as the wireless laptop is a "G" device, I am actually seeing a reduced speed at the laptop with the new router....
what are you seeing 54Mbps , have you tried different channels
download and run xirrus and post back a screen shot - so we can see the wireless environment

{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_d...d_redirect.php
Then run and install the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

27-Nov-2010, 05:02 PM #14
The NETGEAR_G router is model WGR614v2. Tried just plugging it in last night and although the internet detection was made successfully, the handshake was not.

It has to be getting on in your world and I am headed out for the evening. We will pick it up later and I will view any further instructions later on.

Do appreciate your help.

cheers.
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2010, 05:19 PM #15
Quote:
and although the internet detection was made successfully, the handshake was not.
not sure understand the point
but as you say getting late here

heres the support site - with user manual
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2584

to log into the router
Quote:
Connect to the router by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address
field of Internet Explorer
For security reasons, the router has its own user name and password. When prompted, enter admin for the router user
name and password for the router password, both in lower case letters.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!