Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

bt hub poor wifi?

(!)

Account Disabled with 502 posts.

28-Nov-2010, 01:48 PM #1
bt hub poor wifi?
ive had poor wifi signal from my bt home hub since i got it 2 years ago. Ive even had bt give me another one as they said it may be faulty but its just the same.My desktop is connected to it by ethernet cable & works very well however my laptop even only 15 feet away in the next room struggles to keep a connection.Ive tried all the changing channel stuff but to no avail.
My old dynamode router would let my laptop work at the bottom of my garden!
Are these BT hubs just poor performers? Anyway to fit an external airial to it to improve signal?( Im not too bad with a soldering iron!)
Please dont suggest calling BT in Bombay as that is a trial in itself!

BTW my walls ARE solid brick but as I said the dynamode could easily give a good signal in the same situation.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,134 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Nov-2010, 02:11 PM #2
Hi,
I agree the Bombay call centre is a nightmare ... I get a feeling of fear just thinking about it!!

However, our HomeHub works well going up from ground floor to loft (2 floors) and diagonally up 1 floor and through two very solid walls to a printer in the front of the house.

Could you revert to the Dynamode?

Richard.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,807 posts.

28-Nov-2010, 02:40 PM #3
have you tried repositioning the hub, sometimes just a small change can make a big difference

lets see the wireless environment

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_d...d_redirect.php
Then run and install the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Account Disabled with 502 posts.

28-Nov-2010, 02:48 PM #4
ive tried to reposition without much success. Im annoyed at this thing being marketed by BT as "the most powerful wifi router available" when it clearly gives a very weak signal!
I did come across an article (but unfortunately ive lost it!) on how to open up the box & fit a lead to the PCB to take an external aerial. this was claimed to increase power by 100%
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

28-Nov-2010, 03:09 PM #5
Well if it's good reception you want, think yourself lucky you don't have a Sky black Netgear. D

If your adapter is Wireless N capable, can you switch to that or trim the hub's settings down to mixed B/G?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!