Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

is this really a posibillity with WPS?

(!)

Member with 1,303 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Nov-2010, 07:28 PM #1
Exclamation is this really a posibillity with WPS?
a friend of mine bought a brand new dell xps desktop and hp 4050 wireless printer
after setting everything up and looking at the printer i could see it connected only with WPS.
there was no option for scanning for ssid etc.

his router was a bit old and didnt support wps...so he then upgraded his broadband router to a newer one that supports
wps...so i tried to connect again!!!

WPS is defined in wiki: Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a standard for easy and secure establishment of a wireless home network. uuuuuuuuuum easy? could have fooled me...i tried for an hour and couldnt get it working.

i pressed the wps button on the printer and it searches for signal...and i press the button on the router...nothing happens.
it just says no signal found...i tried it both ways...pressing the router wps button first then the printer wps button...got a wps error...

now on the printer you see wps key like...554565 or something...and on the router there is also see a key like 554221. but i cant change these keys on the printer nor the router...on my broadband router at home i can...will these keys change when the device is connected...do these keys have to match...anybody got a good article.

is it possible that they just wont talk to each other?

any insite please!!!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,982 posts.

29-Nov-2010, 10:42 PM #2
I have found no evidence that the HP 4050 has wireless functionality. Is there a different HP 4050 printer?
Member with 1,303 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Dec-2010, 08:11 AM #3
sorry terry my bad...its a 3050...sorry again...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,982 posts.

01-Dec-2010, 04:30 PM #4
I wanted to say this earlier, but resisted the temptation, but after searching for HP 3050 printer I'm gonna say it: tell your friend to trade that thing in for another model. So far I've always been able to disable WPS and not bother with it.

Looks like HP has a Deskjet 3050 and a LaserJet 3050, both all-in-ones.

For the Deskjet step # 11 in the Install Guide may help. If not, maybe the User Manual will have more info.

I think that the LaserJet does not have Wi-Fi capability.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!