Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop works with Modem, Desktop Doesn't

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Dec-2010, 08:21 PM #1
Laptop works with Modem, Desktop Doesn't
My internet went out yesterday. Resetting the router and modem were temporary fixes, but the internet would eventually die again. I called my internet provider cox cable and they say the modem reads fine on their end. I disconnected my router and connected my desktop directly to the modem, but this did not work. The cox tech suggested plugging my laptop directly to the modem and this has worked for the last 3 hours (usually the resets work for 5-10 mins). I have used the same setup for the last year, so why would the desktop's internet connection suddenly stop working?
Member with 2,242 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Dec-2010, 09:08 PM #2
Cable modems tend to remember the last device plugged into it. Unplug the modem and make sure it is powered off for 5 minutes. Power it back up connected to the desktop.

03-Dec-2010, 09:31 PM #3
If that were the case, why would the modem recognize the laptop? It had always been plugged into the desktop through a router. Not that I'm against trying it b/c I'm game for anything. However, I'm afraid I might lose the connection again and not be able to post here.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,770 posts.

03-Dec-2010, 10:16 PM #4
Quote:
so why would the desktop's internet connection suddenly stop working?
Because something happened. Surely you don't expect somebody to try to list all the possibilities.

Whenever you change the device connected to the modem you have to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) it. Sometimes that is not long enough and to make really sure that it has "reset" you do it longer, as srhoades advised.

You can do as srhoades suggested, or connect the router again, or keep the laptop connected to the modem. Connect the other PC to the router and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

03-Dec-2010, 10:32 PM #5
Thanks for the reply. I will try the first recommendation. I will shut off the desktop, disconnect the modem from laptop, connect it to the desktop, power cycle the modem and turn the desktop on.

If it doesn't work, I will try connecting the desktop to the router and the laptop to the modem. Then I will copy the information you asked for.

03-Dec-2010, 11:40 PM #6
Resetting the desktop and modem didn't work. However, the internet did connect for a couple minutes there. I was able to access a couple pages before it died again. Does that mean anything?

I want to make sure the laptop stays connected before trying the next step. I will connect the desktop to the router and copy the config data here.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,770 posts.

04-Dec-2010, 10:54 AM #7
Quote:
the internet did connect for a couple minutes there. I was able to access a couple pages before it died again. Does that mean anything?
Along with the modem and laptop working together it is a good indication that whatever the problem is it lies within the desktop. You can probably connect the router to the modem again and not have to keep switching around as we trouble shoot. If the desktop works for a short time with the router it would be good to see the ipconfig /all for both conditions.

04-Dec-2010, 05:57 PM #8
I set up the desktop with the router and modem again. This time I went in to the settings and refreshed the router (with help from a tech friend). It's working right now. If it fails again, I may try resetting the factory settings and see if that works. If not, I have an older router that was working last night, so I'll just use that one and scrap the troublesome one. Thanks for the help everyone.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!