Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do I need a new router??! PLEASE HELP!

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

05-Dec-2010, 11:26 PM #1
Unhappy Do I need a new router??! PLEASE HELP!
I am beyond frustration... help me, help me, help me figure out if I simply need to buy a new wireless router or if there is something I should check first.

I know the issue is not the internet itself, I have a strong connection when I plug the modem directly into the computer. I have tried unplugging and re-plugging everything many times. I have restarted my computer. The lights on the router appear to be working as normal, although the check mark light seems to be out now. My computer tells me that it finds our connection; that it is "connected" but with "no internet access". There are three computers in our household and none are able to wirelessly connect to the internet.

My netgear wireless router is model wgr614. I spoke to netgear over the phone and they were unable to assist me. The router was not bought by me, it was passed down from a former roommate, but I understand it was bought late 2007. I wanted to try resetting the router before I went ahead and bought a new one, but I saw that you need all your IP information and I am nervous that I am missing something- seeing as I have no paperwork or information of any kind. I have no installation disk for the router or anything of that nature.

Do you have any clear troubleshooting tips? or does it sound like I should purchase a new router? I hesitate to do so since our internet is recognized by the computer and connected, just sans internet access. what might the trouble be?
Member with 2,240 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Dec-2010, 12:59 AM #2
Download the documentation for the router and then reset it. It will have a default IP address that you can the connect to it and reconfigure it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,320 posts.

06-Dec-2010, 04:47 PM #3
What is the brand and model of your modem?

What is the router's "check mark light"? Do you mean the Test LED?

I agree that the first step is to reset it to factory default settings.

07-Dec-2010, 07:04 PM #4
Update!

The router is a Netgear WGR614.

I re-set the router. Now the computer detects a default "Netgear" connection but it is still saying the same thing, connected but no internet access. I did connection troubleshooting through my computer and it said "the DNS server is not responding'.

Looking closer at the lights on my router and what they all mean, they all indicate that things are working properly except the last, the Lan internet 4. The number 4 light is off, which apparently means that no link is detected on the port.

I have tried several ethernet cables, including a brand new one, to be sure that wasn't the issue. I doubt the issue is my computer because there are three laptops in our household and no one has been able to get on the internet. It was working normally when we were online the other night and then it just stopped.
Computer Specs

07-Dec-2010, 08:47 PM #5
Login to the router and see what the WAN (or Internet) status is--IP address, Default Gateway and DSN server(s) in particular.

What is the brand and model of your modem?

07-Dec-2010, 09:23 PM #6
Modem is RCA Broadband DCM425
Computer Specs

07-Dec-2010, 09:36 PM #7
Thanks; wanted to make sure it wasn't a modem/router combination unit.

You are remembering to power cycle it when switching the device connected to it, right?

07-Dec-2010, 09:53 PM #8
Yes, I am.

Working on figuring out how to login to router

07-Dec-2010, 10:12 PM #9
Don't you need to have the router connected to the modem in order to configure or login to it? I can only work online when my modem is connected directly to my computer. Don't I need to use internet to login?
Computer Specs

07-Dec-2010, 11:00 PM #10
No. When you access the web type router interface at 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1 if a real early version of that router) or that special nonsense name Netgear uses you are talking directly to the router.

OTOH, it obviously won't have anything useful in the WAN status if it is not connected to the modem. Uh, make sure you are not accidentally connecting the modem to a LAN port instead of the WAN port.

07-Dec-2010, 11:11 PM #11
No, I am using the correct port.

I would love a step by step of how to login to the router, because I'm really unsure what I'm doing.
Computer Specs

07-Dec-2010, 11:20 PM #12
I have v5 of that router. Don't know if other versions are slightly different. The "Overview of How to Access the Wireless Router", Table 3-1 claims that after reset to factory default settings just opening a browser is enough to access the router. Not true for me. I have had to try their www.routerlogin.net and 192.168.1.1 a couple times, reboot and try those again, sometimes about 3 cycles before the darn thing responds. I've always managed to avoid their "Wizard." After the first success I then have no more trouble (until the next factory reset).

07-Dec-2010, 11:31 PM #13
Yeah, that's the link I found in the online instructions, but it redirects me to a netgear support home page, and I'm unsure what to do from there...
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2010, 11:00 AM #14
The router is supposed to intercept that address, but the good news is that you must have internet access through the router if it is giving you an actual web page.

I should have posted this link: www.routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm

It's easier to just use the router's IP address.

08-Dec-2010, 11:15 AM #15
Nope, I was trying the link when I was connected to internet not router.

This isn't making much sense to me. When the computer is connected to the modem, the link is of no use to me because the router isn't hooked up. When the router is hooked up, the link is of no use because I'm not connected to the internet. What am I missing here?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!