Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can I access my hard drive directly from away from home?

(!)

Member with 468 posts.

06-Dec-2010, 11:55 AM #1
Solved: Can I access my hard drive directly from away from home?
I have a Seagate NAS110 network storage drive. Sadly ,Seagate's Global Access interface doesn't work, which is also know among it's forum contributors

Is there a way to connect to it directly through the web?

The unit does have aan set up section-

Lan Modes- Static and DHCP
Services-Web Access

HTTP Port
(Default: 80) Default
(Range: 8000 through 8999)

HTTPS Port
(Default: 443) Default

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FTP Service EnableDisable

Enable Anonymous YesNo

Port
(Default: 21) Default

SSL/TLS Connection EnableDisable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPnP Port Forwarding for Web Access & FTP

Service EnableDisable

NFS Service EnableDisable

Also- Dynamic DNS

I'd need help to get to work if I can use this to go direct

Please let me know

Thanks in advance

Rich
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,755 posts.

06-Dec-2010, 04:56 PM #2
Quote:
Is there a way to connect to it directly through the web?
The existence of "HTTP Port" indicates "yes." Does the user manual say nothing about the subject?
Member with 468 posts.

06-Dec-2010, 06:20 PM #3
The book doesn't go into detail

I'll copy and paste the page

Last edited by Pbman; 06-Dec-2010 at 06:37 PM..
Member with 468 posts.

06-Dec-2010, 06:37 PM #4
Web Access Protocol Settings
By default, your BlackArmor NAS 110 server is set to the HTTP Web access protocol. HTTP
stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol and is the most common way that data and files are
stored on the Internet.
You can set your BlackArmor NAS 110 server to use HTTPS (HTTP over Secure Socket
Layer) if you have set SSL on the server. (See “Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Settings” on
page 42.)
Workgroup and Domain Settings
By default, your BlackArmor NAS 110 server is set as a workgroup. A workgroup is a number
of computers on a network that share resources. You can add any computer to the server’s
workgroup, or you can add the server to an existing workgroup.
Maintaining Your BlackArmor NAS 110 Server
BlackArmor® NAS 110 User Guide 43
Alternatively, you can set your BlackArmor NAS 110 server as a domain member. A domain is
a group of computers administered as a single unit from a central location.
When you add the BlackArmor server as a domain member, it is centrally managed by a
Windows domain controller, which provides another level of security when users attempt to
access the server. Users within the domain receive their own unique accounts and must be
authenticated to receive access.
The domain’s administrator must authorize the BlackArmor server as a domain member. You
must know the domain administrator’s user name and password to add your server to a
domain. See the BlackArmor Manager online help for instructions on adding the server as a
domain member.
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2010, 06:45 PM #5
I think that the Workgroup and Domain settings are irrelevant to the web access issue. Maybe your main question is how to get to the NAS or any of your computers from the web? If so, we can address that ...

First, I assume that you are using a router and have the NAS and at least one computer connected to the router. In the address bar of a browser on the computer type in the NAS's IP address. What do you get?

Also, what is the brand and model of your router and, if a separate device, your modem?
Member with 468 posts.

06-Dec-2010, 06:55 PM #6
If I enter the IP , it goes to the log in of the drives main software called the Black Armor Discovery

The modem is a Comcast provided, I think it's a Motorola. The router is a Netgear WNDR 3300
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2010, 08:36 PM #7
Quote:
If I enter the IP , it goes to the log in of the drives main software called the Black Armor Discovery
And is that what you want to access from the web? If not, I don't know what you have to do--probably some configuration of the NAS.
Member with 468 posts.

06-Dec-2010, 09:21 PM #8
No, I want to access the media I put there. That discovery program only accesses the setup parameters
Member with 468 posts.

09-Dec-2010, 11:56 AM #9
Thanks for all your help, I've decided to use Drop box instead, less hastle and it's free too
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!