Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot connect to wirless Canon Printer using XP

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Dec-2010, 02:09 PM #1
Cannot connect to wirless Canon Printer using XP
Ok, I have worked on this task for days without success. I need help. I bought a new Canon MG8120 wireless printer and for some reason my PC cannot detect the printer on the network. I have a Netgear WPN824v3 wirelss router. My PC, Sony Vaio running XP is wired to the router but the printer is wireless. I ran the setup on the printer and I was able to connect to the wireless network with a valid IP address. Also when I run the router tools, I can see the printer as an "attached device". I had been using MAC address filtering but removed that to see if this was the issue. I also turned off all the firewalls I could find. The issue comes up when running the supplied SW with the printer to install all the driver and such. At one point it asks if the printer is connected or on a network. I select network, the programs states "searching for printer on network" then it comes back and says it cannot find the printer. At this point I cannot go any further with the driver installation.
Member with 133 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Dec-2010, 03:40 PM #2
Why don't you start by resetting the router so you have a fresh set-up? You can then reconfigure your network, once you get the printer up and running. Also, I would download the appropriate drives you need from Canon site. Have you directly attached the printer to the computer? Sometimes that helps facilitate driver/software installation.
badness

08-Dec-2010, 03:53 PM #3
I have tried resetting the router to default settings even at one point, it did not work. I did also download the updated drives from the Canon website but it did not help. The issue with a direct connection is that the printer documentation states that if the printer has a wired connection it cannot be used wirelessly, one or the other.
Member with 133 posts.

08-Dec-2010, 05:03 PM #4
Looking at the Canon website setup process, are you skipping the step for easy web print ex software? I would, if you are not. Can you go any further than this step?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,419 posts.

08-Dec-2010, 06:31 PM #5
What non-Windows firewall or security suite do, or did, you have on the PC?

09-Dec-2010, 09:48 AM #6
I have charter security suite but I had turned that off during the installation to prevent any fiewall issues. I will check your comment on the skipping that step and see if I can get further.
Member with 133 posts.

09-Dec-2010, 10:35 AM #7
I also presume you are logged on to your computer as an administrator?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,419 posts.

09-Dec-2010, 12:15 PM #8
I would uninstall Charter Security Suite and run the Removal Tool if they provide one.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

02-Jan-2011, 08:15 PM #9
Sorry this isn't an answer - but I have the same problem. Printer is a Canon MG6150, connected wirelessly with the main PC (running Win 7) with ease, but trying to connect it to my laptop (running XP) and I get exactly the same thing - the printer cannot be found. Have tried absolutely everything described above but without success.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

23-Jan-2011, 01:02 AM #10
I have the exact same problem. I have a MG5220 Canon Pixima and I am able to detect the printer from a Vista OS laptop but not my regular XP. I tried disabling firewalls, antivirus, and any other program that may be blocking the outbound connection. I know the printer is on the network bc it works from my other laptop. I am even able to detect/print from my android phone, but my XP doesnt detect it. I tried reinstalling, nothing seems to get it to detect the printer. It works with a USB but not wireless on the XP. The only other thing I can think of is that I use VMWare and VPN software..I tried to disable change settings for these as well but no luck. Anyone able to fix this issue please let me know.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

25-Jan-2011, 10:23 PM #11
Anyone have any success with this?? I called Canon support and they are unable to help me. They made me try the basic stuff that I already tried many times (restart router, disable firewall)...they are useless for support. I can still PING the computer but the stupid installer does NOT detect the printer. This is ridiculous. If Canon cannot fix this I will return this damn printer. Anyone else able to resolve this issue please let me know. I plan to file a complaint against how crappy Canon support is.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
canon, wireless printer

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!