Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connect pc to network router using 1394 firewire

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

08-Dec-2010, 08:42 PM #1
Connect pc to network router using 1394 firewire
I have a Compaq Presario with a 1394 firewire port on the back. I'm also using a broadband cellular modem for my internet connection. On the Axesstel CDMA 1xEV-DO modem/router, there is a 1394 port(4 pin-I think). I'm wondering if I can use that 1394 port (@ 400 Mbps) to connect with my pc...

I am currently using a standard RJ45 ethernet cable to connect the pc to the router.

So, two questions, 1. Can I utilize the faster 1394 port for networking vs the 100 Mbps ethernet port? and 2. What kind of cable do I need and where can I obtain one?

Please advise. Thanks!!
Mike
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,933 posts.

08-Dec-2010, 10:08 PM #2
What model router? Do you have a link to a user or reference manual?

You can buy a firewire cable at places that sell cables; e.g., Best Buy and Amazon.com.

Why would you want to do this?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

09-Dec-2010, 08:41 AM #3
Thank you for your reply.

The model router is MV440. My only interest in using this connection is an assumption that it may be a bit faster (400 Mbps) vs the ethernet connection on the router (100 Mbps). If that is not true, than I don't need to pursue it any further.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,933 posts.

09-Dec-2010, 11:05 AM #4
Are you talking about internet access? I'm guessing that your internet access is probably around 3 Mbps at most. If it is greater than 60 plus Mbps then you may get better results from firewire.

I'm puzzled why I can't find any information about a firewire port on that router. This is one place I've read. That, and every other place I've found, lists b/g wireless, 1 USB and 4 ethernet ports, but nothing about firewire or IEEE 1394.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
1394, firewire, network cable

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!