Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to block wireless access from my router

(!)

Member with 42 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 02:56 AM #1
How to block wireless access from my router
I have an SMC WBR-2804 Router connecting two wired computers to the internet.
I dont think this router comes with a password feature to block intruders/outsiders accessing my internet
connection.
Is there any other way to block outsiders accessing the internet through my router?
Will unscrewing the two antennas block the wireless access?

All responses appreciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,536 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 07:50 AM #2
exactly what are you trying to stop
if this is wireless and you are not using wireless - you should be able to log into the router and turn off the wireless OR you can set a wireless security passcode use WPA2 if you have that on the router

otherwise would you explan what you are trying to stop happen
Member with 42 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 09:13 AM #3
im trying to stop any wireless access to the internet via my wireless router. I believe this router has
no security feature that blocks wireless access to the internet pending a password. In the meantime will try logging into the router to turn off the wireless. If thats possible (old router), then thats it. Job done.

will post feedback.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,536 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 09:32 AM #4
user manual here -
http://www.smc.com/files/AL/MN_SMC2804WBR_MN_E.pdf
I cant see an option to disable the wireless - but you could set up a WEP key - remove the aerials and also setup Mac filtering, so only those Mac address are allowed on the router
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,425 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 03:59 PM #5
Sometimes manuals are less than perfect, so check the Wireless Mode (page 43 of the manual to which etaf linked) to see if there is a 'off'' or 'none' or disabled' option. If not, removing the antenna(s) should keep out anybody more than a few feet away.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!