Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Will a Power over Ethernet (PoE) adapter give my computer internet?

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

23-Dec-2010, 03:41 PM #1
Question Will a Power over Ethernet (PoE) adapter give my computer internet?
I want to buy a Power over Ethernet adapter for my computer. I need to know if this will let me plug a cat5 cable in the adapter and then the other end in my computer and have internet. And I just have a question. Does this take a lot of power? How much on average a month would it cost to use PoE? And can anyone suggest me an adapter that will let me do this with good speeds (if it will let me connect to the internet)? Thanks!
zx10guy has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 3,956 posts.

23-Dec-2010, 03:59 PM #2
Are you expecting to run your computer power wise from this PoE adapter? If so, you need to lower your expectations as all commonly available adapters don't have enough power to do this. The most common spec and one you'll find most PoE devices you purchase through normal channels can only supply up to a max of 15.4W meeting IEEE 802.3af standards.

The other part of the equation is that the device you purchase has to be able to support PoE. So I highly doubt the onboard NIC (or any add in PC NIC adapter) supports PoE.

The adapter you are looking to use is probably an inline power injector to help feed a PoE capable device like a VoIP phone, WAP, security camera, etc. The adapter is used in environments where there is not a capable PoE switch being used.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Feb-2011, 11:35 PM #3
Thumbs up Power-over Ethernet computer
I was looking for something similar to use for my home automation consoles. I purchased a couple PoE Computers from www.SkinnyBytes.com and they worked great. 16" touchscreen AIO's that receive all of their power over the network cable. I didn't have an AC outlet in the closet where I wanted to put the computer, so it was great just running a CAT5 cable to it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cable, computer, ethernet, internet, power

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!