Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Kindle Wi-Fi cannot connect to routers

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Dec-2010, 10:07 PM #1
Kindle Wi-Fi cannot connect to routers
I am not able to connect my new Kindle Wi-Fi to my Linksys WRT160Nv3 802.11b/g/n or my Dell TrueMobile 1184 802.11b routers. I use WPA2 Personal security on the Linksys. I tried using N mode and mixed mode without success. I prefer not to set my router exclusively to g mode. I will *not* turn off security on the Linksys for obvious reasons.

With the Dell, I tried using both WEP and no security. No success.

With both routers I tried manually configuring the network using both DHCP and static, being careful to set the router, mask (255.255.255.0) and DNS (4.2.2.3 or 4.2.2.5) to values that work with our laptops.

Someone posted a similar issue with a Linksys WPN160N saying that after waiting *long* times on hold for tech support and no solution that they drove over to a hot spot, connected successfully, then was able to come back home and successfully connnect to their home network. I tried the same. Was able to connect at the McDonalds hot spot OK. Came back home and was not able to connect to either the Dell with no security or the Linksys with WPA2 Personal.

I'm considering returning the Kindle. Thought about getting the 3G, but I hate the idea of having to pay the extra $50 only because my Christmas gift did not work. I figure why reward Amazon for their Wi-Fi model not working by buying a 3G Wi-Fi? But that's just me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Dec-2010, 03:48 AM #2
Was able to connect to the Dell 802.11b
FYI, I decided to focus on connecting to the Dell 802.11b router. I changed the security key to 40 bit and a corresponding 5 character key and connected successfully.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,759 posts.

27-Dec-2010, 01:56 PM #3
So, are you ready to mark this Solved or do you still want to get it working with your Linksys router?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Dec-2010, 07:20 PM #4
I have the same problem and I'm about to blow a gasket. I know the password and I've typed it in a hundred times, tried all the security options. No connection.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,759 posts.

27-Dec-2010, 08:45 PM #5
ElaineG, your environment, network, etc., are probably not exactly the same. So, if you are just expressing empathy that's fine but if you want us to try to help you please start your own thread and give some details (as lsylvain did) on your network.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
kindle wi-fi

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!