Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SLOW Download Speeds

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,055 posts.

Experience: iBuiltaPC - Intermediate
06-Jan-2011, 07:34 PM #1
SLOW Download Speeds
Hi guys, this is my 2nd thread on Techguy. I'm posting again despite my previous thread in which I got no replies whatsoever.
So yeah..
My download speeds are very slow, the highest ever reached is around ~80 kb/s. Like it doesn't matter what server, or what download, its always under 80kb/s. A year ago, the download speeds were about 300kb/s highest. I have High Speed Connection with Telus Communications (http://telus.ca/). I had a problem with my modem and I had to return it to Telus to be fixed and when I got a new modem, I noticed the problem. It may have happened on my old modem, but I noticed it first on the new one. I phoned Telus and they ran a few tests and said everything was fine. But I don't think so. Are there any solutions?
Please, help me.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,559 posts.

06-Jan-2011, 09:09 PM #2
Sharma7, while i don't know how techspot works, this site is used by people that uses their spare time to help other people. They don't get paid for this, nor does TechGuy expect them to be on here 8 hours+ a day.

All you need to do is a *bump* (one a day) and then someone should see your other thread and assist you.

Having said that, is the computer you are using that has the slow speeds the same one in your other thread? If so then the problem is most likely with that computer.

If you are getting the slow speeds with a different computer, I would need to know the following:

Make & model of your modem
Make & model of your router (if applicable)
Are you connecting with a wired connection or wireless connection
What is your ISP charging you for? (download speed etc)

Since I am not a member of the Security team I cannot post in there. For your other thread, please READ THIS THREAD and download HJT as noted. This will help the people that will help you. But honestly if you cant get into the BIOS you may have a hosed machine.

Anyways, pay attention to the following in that thread:

Once you've posted the requested logs please be patient and wait for assistance. Our qualified helpers are all very busy and will try to get to you as soon as possible. If you haven't received a reply within 48 hours, you can post a reply to your thread that will simply "bump" it back up to the top where it's more likely to be noticed.

so let them deal with that and I will help you with this one ok? cool
Computer Specs
Member with 1,055 posts.

07-Jan-2011, 07:20 PM #3
I did bump it, well....I didn't write "bump" but I posted again each day... I understand what you mean about volunteers that help others. Sorry if I was rude..

The problem happens to every single PC on the network, not just the other one mentioned in my previous thread. I built a brand new PC a week ago with a AMD Phenom 2 x4 945 @ 3.0GHz and 4gb ram, etc, and it was still slow.
I have a wireless connection. My modem is the one that Telus gave me: a Sagemcom SE567 (when I go to gigaset setup, I see a logo that says "Siemens" for some reason...)
Telus charges me for a home phone + high speed internet package.
BTW I forgot to mention that sometimes, when we phone or when someone calls us, the internet connection suddenly stops and internet doesn't work. Other times, when someone calls or we call someone, our internet connection goes sky high. Usually the highest speed ever is ~80kb/s, but sometimes when the connection goes sky high, it goes to ~300kb/s. As soon as the phone call is over, the download speed returns to 10-40kb/s..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,000 posts.

07-Jan-2011, 08:03 PM #4
One suspect is your DSL filter(s). It/they are to keep low frequency voice and high frequency data signals separate.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

07-Jan-2011, 09:04 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
One suspect is your DSL filter(s). It/they are to keep low frequency voice and high frequency data signals separate.
agreed, it looks like the filters may not be working correctly. You should be able to get some from your provider.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,055 posts.

08-Jan-2011, 02:59 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couriant View Post
agreed, it looks like the filters may not be working correctly. You should be able to get some from your provider.
As a matter of fact, we actually found out about this a while ago. We have 2 home phones, 1 in the kitchen and one in the bedroom that is also connected to the modem. We found out that if we disconnected the phone in the bedroom and connected the modem to the phone line directly (without any splitter) the speeds were a bit faster. So right now, the modem does not go through any filters.
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2011, 03:47 PM #7
The modem cannot go through a filter. The filter blocks the high frequency data signals. Filters must be used for all phones.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,055 posts.

11-Jan-2011, 11:00 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
The modem cannot go through a filter. The filter blocks the high frequency data signals. Filters must be used for all phones.
Please read my previous post. Currently the modem is not going through any filter (it has never gone through any filter). It only went thru a splitter, and it doesn't anymore. So it is directly connected to the phone line.

12-Jan-2011, 06:21 AM #9
www.speedtest.net

Do the test 3 times and see if your speed matches the plan
Computer Specs
Member with 1,055 posts.

12-Jan-2011, 09:40 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couriant View Post
www.speedtest.net

Do the test 3 times and see if your speed matches the plan
Sure! The server I connected to is 50 miles away from my location.
According to the Telus, I should be getting around 6mbps...
ISP=Telus Communications
Rating=2.5/5 (each of the 4 tries).

TRY 1= 0.74mbps download speed, 0.46 upload speed

TRY 2= 0.59mbps download speed, 0.46 upload speed

TRY 3= 0.57mbps download speed, 0.45 upload speed

TRY 4= 0.64mbps download speed, 0.33 upload speed

12-Jan-2011, 10:40 PM #11
Clearly you are not. I'm wondering if they oversold the internet and now been maxed out..
Computer Specs

13-Jan-2011, 11:45 AM #12
In your initial post you said, "A year ago, the download speeds were about 300kb/s highest." Your recent Speedtest.net results are showing twice that.

Couriant may be able to shed more light on this, but 6 Mbps is pretty darn fast DSL service. Sometimes when an ISP tries to supply that but the distance is too great or the quality of their phone lines is too low the customer actually gets worse performance than if he/she had a lower cost service.

I still think it's possible that you have a problem with your interior wiring or filters. If you have a Network Interface Device (NID) at the service entrance where you can test with all your interior wiring disconnected I suggest you connect your modem there and try the speed test again. That should tell you whether you need to beat hard on your ISP or on your own wiring/filters.

13-Jan-2011, 08:43 PM #13
I am not too familiar with DSL, but that is also the fastest DSL I have ever seen too. I would suspect wiring somewhere, or as mentioned the distance to the hub is too great.

this link has some information that gives you some idea. The other problem could be viruses/spyware that would also decrease your speed.

In rare cases firewalls can also slow the speed down. I have seen this happen. You mention you have ZoneAlarm in your other thread (btw you may want to bump that one up ), that could be the cause too.

But honestly you should go back to Telus and see if they can send someone out to test the speed with their laptop. If it's fast on that, then the issue is with the computer.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connection, download, internet, slow, speed

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!