Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I reconfigure my wireless router?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Average
12-Jan-2011, 12:34 PM #1
Exclamation How do I reconfigure my wireless router?
I recently switched my connection from DSL to Cable and Linksys is telling me that I need to reconfigure my router, but they want to charge me for the tech support. Call me cheap, but I'm just trying to save a buck. Can I do this without their assistance? Also, I do not have any of the original software.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jan-2011, 01:00 PM #2
Welcome to TSG:
See if this info on the linksys site helps:
http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.as...0&cpage=search
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,326 posts.

12-Jan-2011, 02:06 PM #3
If the above link doesn't help you can probably just reset the router to factory default settings. If your modem is a modem-only remember to power cycle it when switching the device connected to it. If it is a modem/router combo there will likely be a problem if it uses the same LAN subnet (192.168.1.x) as the Linksys's default.

12-Jan-2011, 03:21 PM #4
This information helped only somewhat. I followed the directions to my routers IP address and it brought my to a website unlike the one shown in the pictures. It was FairPoint rather than Linksys, but seemed to have the same theme as the other one would have. I couldn't follow any further instructions because they didn't apply.

12-Jan-2011, 03:29 PM #5
@TerryNet
It is separate from the modem. I am worried to reset it with that button and not being able to set it back up, leaving me without a signal at all. Currently, it is still connected to the DSL...until I am sure it will work out with the cable. Should I unplug the connection between the two devices? Ugh, IDK...
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

12-Jan-2011, 03:55 PM #6
If I am not mistaken,your switch from DSL to Cable,will also involve a different modem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,326 posts.

12-Jan-2011, 04:33 PM #7
If you currently have the WAN section of the Linksys configured for a simple dynamic connection then you can probable just start using it with the cable modem with no changes. If you have it configured for PPPoE then you don't want to change it until you are ready to start using your cable internet access.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

12-Jan-2011, 04:47 PM #8
I certainly agree with Terry.I have used my linksys wrt54g both with cable and dsl using the provided linksys support docs.
Both setups were pretty straight forward and I had no problems with either environment.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!