Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

cat5e and cat6 wiring order

(!)

Member with 496 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jan-2011, 08:49 AM #1
cat5e and cat6 wiring order
I know that when I connect Ethernet wire (cat5e or cat 6) between a computer and a router, I should use wiring diagram 568B

Can I connect the wire with my own order( the same order on both side of the cable) without referring to this diagram (it seems to work but does it cause any problem)? Is it the same for cat6 cable?

Last edited by namo; 18-Jan-2011 at 10:54 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 255 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Jan-2011, 09:19 AM #2
568B will always be used on a jumper when going from a data carrier (hub, switch, router) to a data terminal (PC, printer).

On CAT5 cable, the orange and green pairs are often more tightly twisted to prevent crosstalk between other pairs, and the blue pair is sometimes used for phone. brown pairs are often less tightly twisted and not suitable for data transmission. In some applications the Blue/Brown pairs are used to transmit POE (power over ethernet)

If you're making jumpers, you need to make sure that pins 1-2 are from the same twisted pair and pins 3-6 are from the same twisted pair. If you do not at least follow this, you will certainly have data transmission problems.

I worked at a place that was so cheap they bought 4-conductor cable with only a blue pair and orange pair ( I think it was actually phone cable but it had good twists in it, so it was ok ).

I dont know much about CAT6
Member with 496 posts.

18-Jan-2011, 10:46 AM #3
I use the cable for outdoor AP for POE. I used my own order( the same order on both side of the cable) and cable seems to work for Ubiquiti nanostation AP but doesn't work for Gsky AP

My order is (the same color always follow each other)

Last edited by namo; 18-Jan-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 255 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Jan-2011, 08:26 PM #4
what exactly is the order you use? any order will work on shorter runs (3-4 meters), but it's when you get longer runs that will make a difference.

These Gsky APs -- do they even light up? Are you able to bring them closer to a PC to see if they will carry packets? Can wireless devices associate with the APs, but cannot carry traffic?

I had a trouble call once where the color was arbitrarily chosen by the installer. The devices worked and eventually got IP addresses, but when data transfer was attempted, nothing would ever complete.

So many questions, I know. I think the voltage will be easier to transmit over improperly (but consistently) pinned out ends, leaving the data transmission on an unstable medium
Member with 496 posts.

19-Jan-2011, 02:26 AM #5
Gsky light up and seems working but I cannot go to webpage of the AP. I can connect to the wireless of he AP. when I change the cable to one with 568B wuring order, I can access the webpage of the AP.

Note: I can access the webpage of AP from the wireless even with my own order cable.

the order of the wire are orange-blue-brown-grean from pin 1 to 8 ; strip first followed by full color. It seams that I have to break the plug and do the 568B order.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!