Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

TCP/IP is not enabled

(!)

Suntydt Suntydt is offline Suntydt has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jan-2011, 04:03 PM #1
TCP/IP is not enabled
I did some research here and on the web and have yet to find a solution.

I have a Sony Vaio running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I can connect via the internal WiFi ability of the laptop but it does not get an IP address. I click on the Repair selection and it gives me the "TCP/IP is not enabled" response.

I have updated the network adapter and the wireless network adapter software.
I have checked for network bridges and have none.
I have tried connecting to a private and a public wireless network. Both could connect at 400 bps but they do not communicate through it.
The network connection is a 1394 network adapter if I remember right.

I cannot find anywhere to "enable" TCP/IP. The connection is not "disabled", as I mentioned above, just the TCP/IP ability.

I'm kinda stumped.
Thanks for any assistance,
Suntydt
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

22-Jan-2011, 04:26 PM #2
If you right click on Network Places and choose properties it will take you to Network Connections.
In network connections you should see a wireless network connection, right click on that and choose properties.

Compare your's to mine and come back with what you have. If you don't have the TCP/IP protocol like I do then click on Install>Protocol>TCP/IP version 4 and see if that does the trick, or if it looks totaly different than mine.
Attached Thumbnails
TCP/IP is not enabled-wireless-properties.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

22-Jan-2011, 05:35 PM #3
Clarifying JPEGs
I added some jpegs to clarify my setup.

Fairnooks your network screen and mine look nothing alike. But I understood your question. TCP/IP is a listed protocol.
Attached Thumbnails
TCP/IP is not enabled-untitled1.jpg   TCP/IP is not enabled-untitled2.jpg   TCP/IP is not enabled-untitled3.jpg   TCP/IP is not enabled-untitled4.jpg  

22-Jan-2011, 06:45 PM #4
That's 1394 though, its not wireless, you have to have a Wireless network connection to have a wireless network connection. I have a 1394 net adapter that looks and behaves exactly as yours as well but its useless.

During the install and configuration of the wireless network software it should prompt you with available wireless networks as well as create the wireless connection so if that isin't showing up in Network connections, I'm not sure what's going on without seeing more.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

22-Jan-2011, 07:48 PM #5
I will look into the wireless connection links/wizards some more. Thank you.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,629 posts.

22-Jan-2011, 10:04 PM #6
Are you trying to use Wi-Fi, or are you trying to connect a camera or something by firewire (IEEE 1394)?

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

22-Jan-2011, 11:27 PM #7
No firewire devices.

I checked Device Manager and I have no warning icons anywhere. Under network devices I have the 1394 Net Adapter, an Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection and an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection.
Computer Specs

23-Jan-2011, 10:42 AM #8
OK, you have a wireless adapter. As fairnooks discussed, does the wireless connection show in Network Connections (and is it enabled)? Is the wireless switched on?

For an attempted wireless connection Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. And show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

23-Jan-2011, 05:40 PM #9
Okay... good news and bad news.

I downloaded the Xirrus software and installed it but it came up blank for wireless info.

I did discover an icon down in the bottom right of windows which allows you to change the frequency (I guess) of the wireless adapter from 2.4ghz to 5 ghz (and back again). I am going to mess with that at my friends house this evening and see if it fixes the issue.

I did the IPconfig /all and took a screen shot of the results (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails
TCP/IP is not enabled-ipconfig-vaio.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

23-Jan-2011, 06:54 PM #10
Went to my friends house to try a few things. I have some screen shots of my progress and I think I found a solution. At least for at his place, don't know about McDonalds WiFi yet.

Anyway I did a search for available Wireless networks and his popped up. When I tried to connect to it a new window popped open asking for a key. I don't think he realizes he has it secured from public access. I am waiting for him to get home and call me (I left him a note) and talk to him about it. Two pictures attached showing various information that may help clarify.

Now, I am not familiar with this software swith that changes the ghz of the wireless adapter. Aparently you can have both setting on at the same time. When you do this an "advanced" option becomes available. I haven't looked into that yet but one of you may know if that is pertinent.
Attached Thumbnails
TCP/IP is not enabled-wireless-2.jpg   TCP/IP is not enabled-wireless-kwy-request.jpg  

23-Jan-2011, 10:22 PM #11
Looks like you have it going now, except you aren't on your own wireless so you are going to be subject to security lockout, but its reading 4 bars if you were allowed to connect so that looks good.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the bandwidth thing. I know routers now can be both frequencies simultaneously or be switchable to one or the other so you will connect using one or the other but I don't think the adapter would run in both frequency ranges at the same time (it might be automated at some point so it seemed that both were active but still only one would be used...I think). You would pick one or the other depending on what the router's frequency is or pick the best one if both are offered.
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

23-Jan-2011, 11:55 PM #12
Okay while I have your attention and sort of in the same vein. My friend looked up the info on his router concerning a key. He has no idea what he is looking for. But, he did Ask if I understood or knew away to find out about the 3 levels of security offered on his router: WEP, WPA & WPA2. Any input? I would greatly appreciate it and I know he would.

24-Jan-2011, 01:21 AM #13
WEP is old school, its not very good encryption but some old devices may only be compatible with WEP.

WPA and WPA2 are the standard, modern encryption models, WPA2 has a couple extra features, like support for ad-hoc (where a computer or mobile device becomes a local hotspot) and infrastructure whereas WPA only supports infrastructure.

The key to WPA and WPA2 would be a good alpha-numeric password that is set up on the router and then entered initially into any device (that supports WPA and/or WPA2). So, if that password isn't known then nothing can be added to that wireless network. The only way to get around that would be to reset the router and start over with a new known/remembered key.
Computer Specs

24-Jan-2011, 12:42 PM #14
What is the brand and model of your router? Are you sure the wireless is enabled and the SSID broadcast is enabled?
Computer Specs
Member with 54 posts.

24-Jan-2011, 05:05 PM #15
The router is a CradlePoint Router MBR1200.

I can now connect to the router but I can't get a network address it attempts about 3 times and then closes upon failing. Attached is a jpeg oof what is going on.

I tried changing frequency from 2.4 to 5mgh. That made the wirless network disapear an unavailable. So I am certain I have that right.

My friend figured out his key so that is no longer an issue.

I had a thought that maybe something wierd was set up in the router and it would only allow one connection at a time. So we tested that theory, my friend shut off his network connection on his laptop. After a coule minutes I tried again to connect and I had the same failure, no network address.
According to the bars in the upper right of the netowrk listing the connection is strong.

Stumped...again.
Attached Thumbnails
TCP/IP is not enabled-mcneil-wifi.jpg  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
1394, tcp/ip, vaio, wifi, wireless

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!