Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Setting up a router in a dorm- No modem

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
25-Jan-2011, 12:25 AM #1
Setting up a router in a dorm- No modem
I am trying to setup a wireless router in my dorm but I cant seem to find any solid guide on how to do it. Simply plugging it in to the ethernet port provided in my room doesnt do it. It seems I have to configure it, but I dont know where to begin. Any advice?
Thanks, Marcus
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,355 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jan-2011, 12:43 AM #2
Hi Marcus, and welcome to TSG.

Are you able to get a connection by plugging a computer directly into the same dorm Ethernet port that you are attempting to use with the router. Not sure about your school, but our daughter's dorm room has a wall plate with four identical RJ45 jacks. Two are telephone only and two are for the school LAN.

Does your school's IT department supply any information on how to directly connect a computer to their network or do they just say to connect using DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)?

I am going to bed soon but should be back sometime tomorrow morning.

EDIT: If you need specific instructions, what is the brand, model number and any version number of the router?
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2011, 03:52 PM #3
Its a Lynksys E1000. I can get internet by directly jacking into it with an ethernet cord yes, but the router doesnt seem to be able to access the same network. And our school doesnt seem to provide information or at least, I cant seem to find it.
-Marcus
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2011, 04:45 PM #4
If your computer connects to the school network with no problem using an Ethernet cord without special settings on the computer, then resetting the router to factory defaults may be the first step in getting the router connected. With the router turned on, press and hold in the reset button for 5 seconds.

Then run an Ethernet cable from the school's Ethernet port to the Internet port on the router. Then run a second Ethernet cable from one of the Ethernet ports on the router to the Ethernet port on the computer. This should give you a working wired Internet connection for the computer. Open a web browser screen and see if you can access any web sites.

If you have a working wired connection, you can then choose to install and use the Cisco Connect software that came on a CD with the router or use the web browser interface built into the router to configure the wireless settings. According to the Router User Guide, The default address for the router is 192.168.1.1. The default log-in user name is left blank and the password is admin.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,320 posts.

25-Jan-2011, 05:30 PM #5
Many colleges and universities don't want routers, especially wireless routers, connected to their network. Contact your campus IT department to learn if wireless routers are OK and, if so, what you need to do to connect one.

Assuming this is San Jose State University there is a nearly campus wide wireless network already, right?
Computer Specs

29-Jan-2011, 09:49 PM #6
I can successfully connect to the router with a wired connection, but the router itself, when plugged in, doesnt seem to register an internet connection. I can log in to the router, but im not sure how to configure it.
Computer Specs

29-Jan-2011, 10:29 PM #7
As TerryNet recommended, did you check with the school's IT policies about running your own wireless access point?

Did you reset the router using the button on the back of the router?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!