Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot connect to router IP

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jan-2011, 02:09 PM #1
Cannot connect to router IP
Hey there, I recently purchased an Asus RT-N11 Wireless N Router from eBuyer, and I was having trouble setting it up initially, I had connected all of the cables correctly, WAN Ethernet cable from my Virgin Media AMBIT modem into the WAN port of the router, and an Ethernet cable going from one of the LAN ports to my PC. I tried to run the EZ-Setup, but it didn't work, it was telling me to connect everything correctly still, even though it was all fine..

At first I was thinking I must've made an issue with something while setting it up in Chrome while connecting to the routers address, 192.168.1.1, so I set it to Access Point and managed to connect to the internet on my desktop via Ethernet.

Trying to set up my mother's Amazon Kindle to connect to it fails, it shows a full-bar connection but does not connect, asks me to try again.

Is there any way to fix this issue? My sister also has a laptop that she will need to connect to the network
I don't think it's possible to change from Access Point to any other type unless I can connect to the routers IP
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,349 posts.

25-Jan-2011, 03:06 PM #2
Reset the router to factory default settings.

Unplug the modem and router and shut down computer(s).

Connect modem to WAN port of router. Connect computer to router LAN port.

Plug in modem. Plug in router. Boot computer. You should now have internet access, and can configure the wireless section of the router as desired. Suggest you try to connect by wireless before enabling encryption.
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
25-Jan-2011, 05:11 PM #3
If your computer is not part of the router/modem network(same IP range and sub net) you will never connect to it. Why did you buy a wireless N router instead of a standard wireless access point, you already have a router.
Member with 40 posts.

25-Jan-2011, 05:29 PM #4
@TerryNet - I've done that, the router is now default set to Home Gateway and is described with the following:

Quote:
In this mode, we suppose you use RT-N11 to connect to Internet through ADSL or Cable Modem. And, there are many people in your environment share the same IP to ISP.
Explaining with technical terms, gateway mode is , NAT is enabed, WAN connection is allowed by using PPPoE, or DHCP client, or static IP. In addition, some features which are useful for home user, such as UPnP and DDNS, are supported.
I can now connect directly to the internet via LAN apparently..

@Rockn - I didn't already have a router? As far as I can tell this AMBIT modem from Virgin Media is just a modem, I have no idea what you're talking about.. It's cabled via coaxial directly into the Cable Box outside of my house..

----------------------------------------

The network is called Bradley's Network at the moment and appears on my sisters Laptop and my mum's Kindle, but I can't connect to them wirelessly. Any idea why that is?
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2011, 05:48 PM #5
I believe that Ambit makes both modems and modem/router combos. I assumed you have the former while Rockn thought the latter. Without the model number we can't tell for sure. And sometimes it's so hard to get good information about Ambit that even the model may not help much.

Anyhow, if you can get internet access through the router now it doesn't matter a whole lot what the Ambit is. "Bradley's Network" doesn't sound like an Asus default (but maybe I assume too much, as I've never had an Asus); did you assign that name or did you not reset the router to factory defaults or ....?

If your sister's laptop is running Windows please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.
Member with 40 posts.

25-Jan-2011, 06:55 PM #6
It's definitely not the router-modem combo, it's quite an old modem too.
I assigned that name via the Control Panel IP 192.168.1.1, but now my sister is getting the following message when I try to connect to the network:

Quote:
Wireless Network Connection doesn't have Valid IP Configuration
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/111/62614254.png
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2011, 07:42 PM #7
Try with encryption disabled on the router. And for your sister's laptop trying to connect to that please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!