Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

can a wireless card go bad???

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jan-2011, 06:15 PM #1
can a wireless card go bad???
I have a dell labtop with original windows XP it has a built in wireless card. for the past month my wireless conection speed has been fluchuating alot any where for a perfect 58Mpbs all the way down to 24Mpbs with in seconds.

The only time the speed would go down this low was if we where having troubles with our internet source (comcast). I am having this problem not only at my home but at other places. I can not see this always being the internet source this often.

Can your wireless card go bad?

Please help and thank you ahead of time
Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Prettay prettay good.
26-Jan-2011, 07:23 PM #2
It sure can. Like any other piece of hardware.

Perhaps you could try either a PCMCIA wireless card or a USB wireless adapter, just to see if it has the same problem. If it does, then it's a problem on the software end of things. If not, then.. sorry to say, but it might be your built in card.

How old is the laptop, anyway?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jan-2011, 08:11 PM #3
thanks for the advice and it is about 6 years old. i know she is old but she still works great with everything else and when she wants to hold a good internet speed.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,894 posts.

26-Jan-2011, 09:01 PM #4
Can also be caused by incorrect (or corrupted) driver. Install the latest wireless driver from Dell's web site.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 10,083 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jan-2011, 09:02 PM #5
Just as a sort of an additional source, yes, NICs can go bad and often do. If the behavior occurs frequently, I suggest uninstalling (not physically) that built-in and getting a USB adapter.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!