Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Messed up my wireless connection

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jan-2011, 12:49 PM #1
Solved: Messed up my wireless connection
Hi, I've signed up just to get help on this question, I feel so stupid that I seem to have created this problem and now don't know how to fix it. Forgive me if I don't use the correct terminology as I'm not a networking person.

I have a Netgear router DG834GGv3 which I have been connected to for years via my wireless network. I have 1 other laptop and an XBox on the same wireless network. I've just stupidly been fiddling with in 'My Network Places' and now I've destroyed my wireless connection on this laptop (running XP).

What I did:
Clicked 'Wireless Network Setup Wizard' > Next > Selected 'Add new computer or devices to the 'mywirelessnetwork' network' > Next > Select 'Set up a network manually > Next > Finish
As this told me I had to print my settings I did not think I'd actually made any configuration changes but the moment I clicked 'Finish' my wireless network connection closed and I can no longer connect.

When I try to Enable this connection I get "Unable to connect to wireless network. Windows could not connect to the 'mywirelessnetwork' network. Windows will keep trying to connect. To see options for fixing this problem, click this message"
That then leads to:
"Windows could not connect to this network. There might be interference between this conputer and the network access point, or the network is refusing access to this computer"
Clicking 'Repair' send me through the same cycle of trying and failing to connect

I rebooted both my machine and router. I have tried to connect via an Ethernet cable and I do get a connection. My 'fiddling' has not affected the other laptops connection to the wireless network, nor the XBox. When I right click my wireless connection and choose 'View Available Wireless Connections' my wireless network is there. It is security enabled WPA (if that helps).

I feel foolish that I seem to have done something to mess with my wireless connection on this machine. Can anyone please help me with this, I really have no idea what I should do. Many thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

27-Jan-2011, 01:27 PM #2
hiya,have you tried a "system restore" back to a date before you messed up the settings,this will not delete any files or folders but will just restore the settings,go to Accessories>system tools>sytem restore and select an highlighted date from the calendar to restore to,you can undo these restore points and select as many dates you wish to restore to as required.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jan-2011, 02:35 PM #3
it huggies54 post doesn't help then try this one... go to the network connection> Right click on wireless network connection> Properties> wireless network tab> then delete the preferred network which should be the one that you've trying to connect to> then try to reconnect> the network should ask for a password> Type in the correct password. Pls try doing this. Post back for update
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jan-2011, 05:11 PM #4
That did the trick, thank you so much for your reply huggie54. I didn't think a system restore could revert changes like that but it did indeed restore my connection settings before my naive fiddling.

Thanks also to zephyr for your advice.
Computer Specs
Member with 264 posts.

Experience: Beginner to Intermediate
27-Jan-2011, 05:11 PM #5
mark it Solved
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

28-Jan-2011, 04:52 AM #6
hiya Haleyneedshelp glad your up and running,g/luck Huggie54.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!