Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

WRT54GS v7.2 drops wireless connection only if husband works from home

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 200 posts.

Experience: uses pc and likes to understand how things work
02-Feb-2011, 11:47 AM #1
WRT54GS v7.2 drops wireless connection only if husband works from home
Hi, We have a Linksys WRT54GS v7.2 that works great unless my husband is working from home. He would log on to his work site using IE8. The site runs a proprietary program which connects securely to his computer at work. The wireless network would work great until he picks up the phone and dials in to a conference call. At there point, wireless connection will drop and nothing can connect wirelessly...not the ipod Touch, mac, or laptop. Then, the moment he disconnects, we can access wirelessly again. It is only the wireless connection that is affected. I can hook up using the ethernet cable and I am fine. I never have the problem of using the phone and accessing the internet wirelessly at the same time. It seems like it is ONLY if he logs in to work and gets on a call that we have this problem. My router is already set to channel 11. My phone is a Panasonic KXTG1035. The actual handset model is KXTGA101S. Our phone service is with our internet provider. So our setup is cable to cable/phone modem. Router is hook to the modem and the phone is hooked to modem.

Any suggestion how we can fix this dropping problem? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,395 posts.

02-Feb-2011, 09:29 PM #2
Does the problem happen if your husband is using your Wi-Fi but is not connected to his work? If so, then maybe there is some sort of interference (that should not be happening) between his computer and the phone handset.

I'm assuming that he always uses the phone near his computer; if true then another test is for him to make a call not near his computer.
Computer Specs
Member with 200 posts.

02-Feb-2011, 09:47 PM #3
I am sorry. I just realized my description is of his old setup. He now uses a Plantronics ct-12 2.4 GHz DSS Cordless Headset Telephone hooked up to the VOIP line. That is what he is using to make his calles.(His Plantronics has not been working for a long time due to the battery. I forgot I got a replacement battery and that is what he has been using.) We now think it is the Plantronics that is causing the problem. This makes more sense since I never have problem with the phone and the internet before. Is there anyway to fix this issue? Will moving the router fix the problem?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,395 posts.

02-Feb-2011, 10:28 PM #4
Sometimes using channel 1 or 11 on the router will minimize the interference, but usually the fix is to get rid of the other 2.4 Ghz device (or get all 5 GHz 802.11a adapters and router).
Computer Specs
Member with 200 posts.

03-Feb-2011, 09:55 PM #5
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I guess my husband is going to have to use a corded phone
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,614 posts.

04-Feb-2011, 04:36 AM #6
did you try changing wireless channels on the router ?
try channel 1 or 6
also change security type may also help
i have found channel 1 and issue in UK with cordless phones and wireless security so changing channels resolves

Post an xirrus screen shot - lets see what other networks are in the area

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_d...d_redirect.php
Then run and install the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 200 posts.

04-Feb-2011, 09:35 PM #7
I been trying to install .net but it kept abending. Any idea why? I turned off my firewall and it still won't install.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,614 posts.

05-Feb-2011, 06:03 AM #8
what errors are you getting ?
have a look in control panel > add/remove or programs
see if you have
microsoft .net framework
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!