Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: T41 Wireless Not Working

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 283 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Feb-2011, 07:40 AM #1
Solved: T41 Wireless Not Working
When I bought my used ThinkPad T41 Laptop it had XP Pro installed and the wireless was working; I connected to my home wireless network and was able to access the web.

I use the T41 to rum my CNC machine and decided to remove the XP Pro and installed XP Home (I thought MS will have all the required drivers but I was wrong). After the XP Home installation I noticed that the wireless and Ethernet were not working and I went to Lenovo download site and got some drivers and now the Ethernet is working but no the wireless.

The T41 has a light for the wireless close to where the lights for caps etc is and this light is off now. I remember with the XP Pro this light was on. On the BIOS there is nothing to turn wireless on/off

Any idea how I can get the wireless working again?
Computer Specs
Member with 255 posts.

04-Feb-2011, 08:16 AM #2
First thing, does the wireless adapter show up under network adapters in the device manager? (Start, Run..., 'DEVMGMT.MSC' [enter])

If not, do you still have any devices listed there that have yellow question marks by them?

If it does, you should only have to press the blue [Fn] button + [F5] button to toggle the wireless adapter on/off
Computer Specs
Member with 283 posts.

04-Feb-2011, 08:30 AM #3
Thanks for the reply

I was able to get it going by playing around; I was using an IBM driver but the INTEL Pro did the trick

Now all is fine
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,951 posts.

04-Feb-2011, 12:12 PM #4
I think that the wireless switch for a Thinkpad is the Fn + F5 key combination.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!