Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't connect wii with netgear wireless adapter

(!)

Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,954 posts.

06-Feb-2011, 10:16 AM #16
OK - so look at the IP numbers there - Ipaddress ipv4 and also the default gateway address
Now thats your public IP provided by the ISP - no issue having it here btw

Now that is the IP that the router will get on the WAN side (ISP side of the router) - now in order to share that IP the router gives each device a different IP number - usually starting 192.168.x.x

in your case on a previous post it showed the same IP - which means the router is not working as a router - now that maybe because its broken , or setup to do that

as you cannot loginto the router at all - i suggest you reset it to factory condition by using the button on the back
Quote:
Reset Button
The Reset button is used in rare cases when the Router may function improperly. Resetting the Router will restore the Router’s normal operation while maintaining the programmed settings. You can also restore the factory default settings by using the Reset button. Use the restore option in instances where you may have forgotten your custom password.

a. Resetting the RouterPush and release the Reset button. The lights on the Router will momentarily flash. The Power/Ready light will begin to blink. When the Power/Ready light becomes solid again, the reset is complete.
b. Restoring the Factory DefaultsPress and hold the Reset button for at least ten seconds then release it. The lights on the Router will momentarily flash. The Power/Ready light will begin to blink. When the Power/Ready light becomes solid again, the restore is complete.
Junior Member with 14 posts.

06-Feb-2011, 10:29 AM #17
i reset it but have not connected it yet. still just modem to pc connection. should i try to reconnect? I can not find the cd that came with my router.
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2011, 10:32 AM #18
Quote:
I can not find the cd that came with my router
do not need a CD to get it to work

You should now be able to connect a PC to the router - Nothing else (except power) - just a PC and loginto the router page from the pc

06-Feb-2011, 10:36 AM #19
are there any rules to what to connect first? i've read other posts on other sites that say you have to power down the modem, unhook the cable, etc. do I have to power down either the modem or router? Or just unplug the cable from the modem, plug into router, then plug cable from router to pc?
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2011, 10:40 AM #20
sometimes it works straight away - others you need to do a powercycle of everthing - in which case you
turn on the modem first and allow to settle
then turn on the router and allow to settle
then turn on devices

In some case you have to disconnect the cable from the modem - with power off and then reconnect the cable to modem and then power everything on in order

can you log into the router on its own?

06-Feb-2011, 10:42 AM #21
the router is not connected (except power) - would I be able to log on?
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2011, 10:44 AM #22
if you connect a PC by cable to the router lan port - you should be able to loginto the router configuration screen as described in previous post

Quote:
the default login for that router is
In your browser, type “192.168.2.1” (you do not need to type in anything else such as “http://” or “www”). Then press the “Enter” key.
The Router ships with no password entered. In the login screen, leave the password blank and click the “Submit” button to log in.

06-Feb-2011, 10:46 AM #23
just so i'm sure...unplug my modem and plug my router (the cable that is plugged into the connection to computer port) into my pc?
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2011, 11:12 AM #24
Turn off the router
on the back of the router you have a number of connections
one set labelled - connections to computers and then numbered 1,2,3 & 4
plug an erthernet cable into anyone of those four and the other end into a PC etherent port
The power connected to the Power DC input
Nothing connected to the connection to modem socket
power on the Router

Now open and internet explorer browser on the PC and type into the address bar
Quote:
In your browser, type “192.168.2.1” (you do not need to type in anything else such as “http://” or “www”). Then press the “Enter” key.
a login page for the router should appear on the PC IE page
Quote:
In the login screen, leave the password blank and click the “Submit” button to log in.
now you should be connected to the router configuration pages

06-Feb-2011, 11:31 AM #25
Finally! I got on my routers web page. Had to clone the mac address and now it works! Thank you so much for all your help!!!!!
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2011, 11:33 AM #26
works - as in you are now connected to interent from the PC and the wireless on the wii - which I think is where we started
correct

if so
thanks for letting us know
You can mark your own threads solved using the button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
belkin, netgear wg111v3, wii

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!