Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Realtek RTL8188 Wireless Adapter not connecting to my home LAN

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

17-Feb-2011, 10:45 AM #1
Angry Solved: Realtek RTL8188 Wireless Adapter not connecting to my home LAN
I'm trying to connect to the internet on another PC (on my desktop, not this laptop I'm sending this request on). I know my network is working OK, because I'm on it now (on my laptop), but the Realtek adapter is not connecting on my destop PC. Can anyone help?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,992 posts.

17-Feb-2011, 11:43 AM #2
Do you have the latest driver installed? Does the adapter show as OK under Network Adapters in Device Manager? What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

Does the wireless connection show as enabled in Network Connections?

Can you detect any wireless networks? If so, ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. And show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

17-Feb-2011, 01:59 PM #3
Thank you for replying so quickly. btw, I have WinXP (SP3) home edition. Also, I beg your patience; I am not the most literate on PCs, but I can get by.

To your questions:
1a) Lastest driver? I'm not sure. I just bought this adapter and a cd came with it to load the drivers, which I did and loaded OK (driver date 3/10/2010). But if this is the lastest or not, I don't know. And since I cannot get to the internet, I can't download a newer version to that PC.

1b) Yes, device manager does show "This device is working properly." And there are no errors or warning messages in device manager.

2) Network connection: my home network is working fine (evidence is that I'm on it with my laptop now). BUT, on the desktop (with the problem), it does show my wireless network by name but with "Limited or no connectivity." I've tried the "Repair" option, but I get error: "Windows could not finish repairing because [this] could not be completed: Renewing your IP address."

3) Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector: I have never used it before. On this laptop, I went to the that webpage: should I download the Inspector v.1.2.0 to run on this PC (tho' the other desktop has the Realtek adapter problem)?

4) OK, I did the ipconfig/all, captured it to a .jpg, attached to this post.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Realtek RTL8188 Wireless Adapter not connecting to my home LAN-ipconfig-all.jpg  
Computer Specs

17-Feb-2011, 03:02 PM #4
If necessary you can use any computer with internet access to download the wireless driver and the Xirrus Inspector and copy them to the problem machine via USB flash drive, CD-RW, etc.

Make sure you are not locked out because the router is using MAC Address filtering.

Disable encryption (security) on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect. If it still does not work with encryption, what kind of encryption are you using and what kind of key?

18-Feb-2011, 04:18 PM #5
OK, I downloaded (1) the latest driver for the adapter, and (2) the Xirrus Inspector - tho' I've not loaded them yet (I hope to tonight).

"Mac address filtering?" Did you detect something specific in my ipconfig that indicates Mac setting? If so, what was that? Or, are you advising that I make sure the router is not using Mac? If so, I may have to call Linksys to inquire how to do that.

Also, to disable encryption on the router I may need to call Linksys, as well.

I am trying to work this as I can get to it; but I will keep any progress I make posted here.
Thanks again for your help!
Computer Specs

18-Feb-2011, 08:30 PM #6
Instead of calling Linksys you could try consulting the manual--either on CD or from Linksys's web site.

Two common, and the most easily fixed, reasons for not getting an IP configuration assigned on a wireless connection are encryption mismatch and locking oneself out with MAC Address filtering.

21-Feb-2011, 11:04 AM #7
I've now installed Xirrus and it is running. I captured some screen shots and have attached four .jpg files: one of Xirrus, and three of the monitor program that came witht the Realtek adapter. It seems that it is finding my network (Miller net) and that the signal is strong. Maybe these can give you a bit more information on what is happening here.

I was (wrongly) thinking that "MAC" address filtering referred to the Apple Macintosh OS, which might conflict with my Windows 7 OS thereby locking out the adapter from connecting. But I just found this note on About.com "A MAC address represents the physical identifier of a network adapter, while the IP address represents a logical device address on Internet Protocol networks." So, that may blow my Apple/PC reason for my problem.

After looking at these screen shots, any ideas on this? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Realtek RTL8188 Wireless Adapter not connecting to my home LAN-millernet-xirrus-status.jpg   Solved: Realtek RTL8188 Wireless Adapter not connecting to my home LAN-millernet-realtek-status1.jpg   Solved: Realtek RTL8188 Wireless Adapter not connecting to my home LAN-millernet-realtek-status2.jpg   Solved: Realtek RTL8188 Wireless Adapter not connecting to my home LAN-millernet-realtek-status3.jpg   Solved: Realtek RTL8188 Wireless Adapter not connecting to my home LAN-millernet-realtek-status4.jpg  

Computer Specs

21-Feb-2011, 12:01 PM #8
MAC Address filtering--also called "access control" or similar--refers to a feature on many routers to allow only listed adapters to connect.

Disable encryption and MAC Address filtering on the router and try to connect.

24-Feb-2011, 08:57 AM #9
Yes, I will try those two things, but I'll need to read through the Linksys users guide first to learn how to do that. But, I have two concerns: (1) once I turn off MAC filtering and encryption, how to turn them back on for my network? (I have four other PCs using it); and (2) how to make sure I don't get in a worse fix than I'm in now (with only one PC unable to get online) by junking something else up and knocking out my four other PCs. Maybe both of these concerns are amateurish, but the fear is still there (tho' worse case I'd have to buy in some expert help to get past this crap).

Thanks again for your patience and assistance.
Computer Specs

24-Feb-2011, 11:31 AM #10
MAC Address filtering is not really security; it just makes your network more difficult for you to use. When you have time read The ABCs of securing your wireless network. If you have it enabled it is only allowing access to the adapters in its list; when you disable it all computers can access, so there is no impact on the ones that are already connecting.

When you disable encryption all wireless devices will be disconnected. So, don't do it when somebody is doing something important and shouldn't be interrupted. After you have tried to connect the problem PC you just change the encryption mode back to whatever it is now and the network returns to "normal." If the others had not attempted to connect while the network was unsecure the computers should reconnect automatically as soon as the encryption is re-enabled.

Not amateurish concerns; they are the concerns of a responsible, thinking person.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 81 posts.

Experience: Einstein
24-Feb-2011, 01:07 PM #11
winxp home has network problems wireless and wired cards never seem to work with out issues, thats why i prefer xp pro, also if a cd comes with the card there may be software that helps u connect to your network specifically for that card perhaps you should try that?

cheers

25-Feb-2011, 04:41 PM #12
OK, game change! After far too many hours stuggling with this problem (time better spent doing other priorities), and after selecting the "disable" option on the "wireless security" portion of the Linksys "control" page for my router, which in turn TOTALLY locked me out from getting online (on ALL five my computers) - I finally called Linksys and paid for technical assistance (only $30). We worked with this compound problem for over two hours, and finally determined it was a hardware problem (at least, primarily). My router is over five years old and uses 802.11g technology; and my wireless adapter is a 802.11n standard. So.... I just bought a new router (Linksys E1000 - using "n" version). If I'd known this sooner, I'd have spent the $50 long ago and avoided all the pain. But then again, I would not have learned a few more things about this magical world of PC networks! I expect this will solve my problem once I receive the shipment and install it. So, thanks so much for giving me pointers and advice. I very much appreicate your help. I may be in touch again in the future.
Computer Specs

25-Feb-2011, 05:56 PM #13
i thought 802.11n is backwards compatible
Computer Specs

25-Feb-2011, 06:25 PM #14
802.11n is backward compatible, but if 5 computers could not connect after disabling encryption there had to be a serious defect in the router I would think. I assume that in 2 hours time they reset the router to factory defaults (probably numerous times) and after that there should be no problem connecting by wireless or ethernet.
Computer Specs

25-Feb-2011, 08:38 PM #15
well i have a PS3 that has built in wireless N and i have a WRT54g series type router, and i use mac filtering with no problem, IMHO i think the linksys rep/tech got the guy to go out and buy a new router for the sake of buying it
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!