Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless printer problem

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

26-Feb-2011, 10:50 AM #1
Wireless printer problem
Trying to set up new HP C310 wireless printer. Will not connect to Verizon FIOS. Message: MAC address filtering may be enabled on your wireless router. Dave at Verizon says there is no filtering on router. What do I do now?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,777 posts.

26-Feb-2011, 12:53 PM #2
Check yourself to make sure that MAC Address filtering is disabled. Disable encryption and try to connect. If successful then re-enable encryption and try to connect again.

What kind of encryption are you using and what type of encryption key? Is any other device connected to the router by wireless?

26-Feb-2011, 01:34 PM #3
wireless printer problem
I'm using a MacBook and do not know anything about encryptions. How can I disable the encryption using a Macbook?

I have had no problems connecting to my Verizon FIOS wifi with my iPad or my iPhone 4, but this HP printer has me climbing the walls!
Computer Specs

26-Feb-2011, 02:00 PM #4
Login to the router, preferably with an ethernet connected computer, navigate to the wireless section and change the encryption (or security) mode to 'off'' or 'none' or whatever. You can probably find a user manual on the web to get specifics on the router. I've done this even with a wirelessly connected iPod Touch, so I'm sure a MacBook is capable.

26-Feb-2011, 04:44 PM #5
I was able to get to router settings and all appears to be in order. Mac authentication is indeed disabled. Security enabled is WEP 64 bit, but verified WEP password will not allow printer to connect. Called HP. They say Verizon's Actiontec router is incompatible with Mac Bonjour software. HP said I should ask Verizon to trade my router for any other router except Actiontec. Called Verizon again. They use only Actiontec. Verizon says that Actiontec says their router is compatible with all software. Verizon then suggested I could buy a second, different, brand of router and hook it onto the Verizon Actiontec router. . . or return the printer. This is so much fun
Computer Specs

26-Feb-2011, 06:56 PM #6
There are some problems with some of those Actiontec routers (I forget which versions) with file sharing but I don't know what Mac Bonjour software has to do with getting an HP printer to connect to the router. Sounds like somebody was trying to get rid of you.

Were you able to connect the printer with encryption disabled?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

26-Mar-2011, 11:14 PM #7
Wireless printer problems can be caused by a lot of factors. You can check this checklist to troubleshoot.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/wirel...-resolve-them/
Member with 2,242 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Mar-2011, 11:34 PM #8
Did you try turning off the wireless encryption all together and then trying to connect?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!