Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

laptop can't print to wireless printer

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Advanced Beginner?
01-Apr-2011, 11:09 PM #1
Question laptop can't print to wireless printer
I have long printed from my laptop to my printer - wirelessly. Some time ago, my wireless router went down and I had to reconfigure to print via USB for awhile. Since the wireless has been back up, I can't print from my laptop. My daughter prints wirelessly from her laptop. My husband prints via USB. I've done my best to make sure my settings are right, but nothing works! One thing - when I got the new router, it couldn't handle my network name the way it had been before, so I changed it. Perhaps that messed something up - but I sure don't know how to know, nor how to fix it. Any ideas out there?!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,522 posts.

02-Apr-2011, 06:40 AM #2
Quote:
it couldn't handle my network name the way it had been before, so I changed it.
yes, you will need to reset the printer to see the new name - if a HP printer they often need to be re-installed again when a new router or change made

Quote:
My husband prints via USB.
The printer may want to be used as either USB or networked NOT both
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2011, 12:25 PM #3
clarify?
Thanks! Here's the deal -- I did set the PRINTER to the new name, but I'm not sure if there's somewhere on my actual laptop that i have to change the printer settings?? Does that make sense? I did uninstall and reinstall software after the name change - twice. :P

Re using USB or wireless, but not both... It has worked fine that way for awhile... ?? My daughter currently uses it wireless and my husband USB, without problems. DO you think that is causing problems??:

Thanks for your help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,404 posts.

02-Apr-2011, 12:32 PM #4
The printer is connected to one computer by USB and also connected to the router by Wi-Fi, right? Can you ping it from your computer?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Apr-2011, 01:53 PM #5
Just a thought.I just installed an HP wireless printer,that also supported a usb connection.
I ended up having to define two printer entries(add hardware),One for the wireless option and one to use with the usb option.
I probably missed something in the setup process,but that's how I got it to work.
rodcarty rodcarty is offline rodcarty has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Apr-2011, 07:15 PM #6
Is your laptop Vista of W7? If so you may have two entries for the printer, one USB and one wireless, but not see that there are two. In the Devices and Printers window, if you right-click on your HP printer and put the mouse over the Printer properties menu choice, do you get two choices there? If so, one is USB and one is wireless. Since you're using it wireless, set that one as the default printer and things should work as you want again.
Attached Thumbnails
laptop can't print to wireless printer-two-printers-w7.jpg  
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2011, 08:10 PM #7
My husband just plugs in to the USB when he wants to print something. Otherwise it is used wirelessly by my daughter and, normally, me.

How do I ping it?
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2011, 08:11 PM #8
Thanks- I might give that a try.
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2011, 08:12 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcarty View Post
Is your laptop Vista of W7? If so you may have two entries for the printer, one USB and one wireless, but not see that there are two. In the Devices and Printers window, if you right-click on your HP printer and put the mouse over the Printer properties menu choice, do you get two choices there? If so, one is USB and one is wireless. Since you're using it wireless, set that one as the default printer and things should work as you want again.
My OS is Windows XP. If I should still check that, I need you to tell me how I get to "Devices and Printers" - I don't remember. :P
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,404 posts.

02-Apr-2011, 08:33 PM #10
With XP look in Printers and Faxes. Or is it Faxes and Printers?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

ping <IP address of printer>

So, if the printer's address is 192.168.1.234 the command would be

ping 192.168.1.234
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Apr-2011, 09:14 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashanti View Post
My OS is Windows XP. If I should still check that, I need you to tell me how I get to "Devices and Printers" - I don't remember. :P
Click the start button, click on Control Panel, double click on Printers and Faxes. But if you have XP each instance of the same model of printer will show separately. If you have only one instance of that printer in your XP computer's list, does it show that it's connected by USB or wireless? In the Printers and Faxes window, right-click on the printer, then left-click on Properties. In the printer properties window that comes up, click the Ports tab and see what it's connected to. If it's USB then there's your problem.

It's probably easiest to uninstall the printer, then reinstall it. You will need the HP install disk. Uninstall the printer software by going back to the control panel, then double-click Add or Remove Programs. scroll through the list until you find the entry for the HP printer, then click on it and click the Change/Remove button and choose uninstall.
Computer Specs

03-Apr-2011, 02:02 PM #12
Okay -- I removed the printer... totally removed/uninstalled everything HP from my computer,and started from scratch.THIS time it installed fine.Yea!!!!! Thanks to all of you for your help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
wireless printing

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!