Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why is my WIFI faster than Ethernet?

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

18-Apr-2011, 11:22 PM #1
Why is my WIFI faster than Ethernet?
Ok here is the situation:
I live in an apartment complex with a few other roommates. We each have an ethernet-cable jack in our rooms, and we also have a wireless router located in one of my roommates' rooms that we all use for WIFI. My question to you guys is why, when connected to only WIFI, my interenet connection is faster than using an ethernet cable? Our WIFI network displays a speed of 65Mbps, while the ethernet network shows a 10Mbps. How does this make sense?

Speed test for Ethernet network:

Speed test for WIFI network:
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,560 posts.

18-Apr-2011, 11:39 PM #2
For the speed tests... 0.03 difference is not really 'faster'... at least you would not see the difference.

as to the Our WIFI network displays a speed of 65Mbps, while the ethernet network shows a 10Mbps statement, if your ethernet port is showing 10Mbps, then either you have a setting that is incorrect (set to half duplex, not full duplex), you are using the wrong cable, or the ethernet port is bad.

Usually on a .g wireless network, it should say 54.0Mbps... not too sure why you are getting 65MBps... unless it's on a .n wireless?

So, for the ethernet, is it happening to only your computer? or other people's using the ethernet connection?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

19-Apr-2011, 01:04 AM #3
Yes it is on .n wireless. And your right, a .003 difference is not noticed at all, I was just curious as to the differences between 10Mbps and 54Mbps, and also why the speed test is always just a little bit faster for the WIFI than the Ethernet.

Thanks for your help in clearing some of these issues up!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,003 posts.

19-Apr-2011, 11:08 AM #4
Either your computer's ethernet adapter or the router's is 10 Mbps (or else, as Couriant indicated, you may have the adapter set to that speed).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!