Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Help setting up wireless range extender for Sony Bravia TV

(!)

Member with 59 posts.

07-May-2011, 08:30 AM #1
Solved: Help setting up wireless range extender for Sony Bravia TV
On instruction from reviews of the TV on amazon, i bought a TP-Link wireless range extender to set up as a client/repeater (not sure which to use) to connect wirelessly to my router in another room so i can connect an ethernet to the TV for online functions without an overpriced Sony wireless dongle.

I connect the device to the router, assign a random IP in the same subnet as my lan (since it has the same default address as my router) and set the default gateway to my router's IP address (assuming this is what it is asking for) and set the device to either client or repeater mode (unsure of which i need so have tried both) and everything seems fine until this point. However, I set the device to WEP security and set the WEP key to the same as my router as the instructions say and my router instantly loses it's internet connection entirely and repeatedly tries to reconnect and fail until i disable WEP security on the wireless range extender, at which point it successfully reconnects.

Not sure if either of these things are relevent but looking at the GUI of my router, it dosnt seem to acknowlage the existance of the device and trying to ping it with the ethernet connected succeeds but without it connected fails.

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,459 posts.

07-May-2011, 12:35 PM #2
You indicate that you want to "extend" your wireless network to an ethernet segment to connect the TV. This means you want to use the TP-Link in "Wireless Bridge" or "AP Client" mode; certainly not "Repeater" or "Range Extender" mode.

I don't understand the Default Gateway setting. When I configure my Airlink101 AP431W in Wireless Bridge mode I set a static IP to it and my network's SSID and encryption mode/key, but there is no Gateway setting to be made.

Maybe it's just a terminology thing, but you shouldn't be assigning a random IP; it should be one you select (and write down unless you have a perfect memory) and be outside the Dhcp server's address range.

I can't understand how the TP-Link is causing the router to lose connection to the modem.
Member with 59 posts.

07-May-2011, 02:35 PM #3
Yeah, by random IP i just mean i selected an address 1 higher than an existing address. I guess i will have to try it in bridge mode/try leaving the default gateway blank (it was by default, i only changed when i realised the default ip was the same as my router), although i think there is more than just the mode because i did set up in client mode which resulted in the same issue of it disabling my router. I will reply when i have tried a few more options.
Member with 59 posts.

08-May-2011, 01:28 PM #4
Thanks for the help. Set to client and removed the default gateway, works fine now.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,459 posts.

08-May-2011, 01:46 PM #5
Great! You're welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!