Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Simple way to make old computer pick up wireless signal in house

(!)

Member with 6,375 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-May-2011, 09:14 PM #1
Simple way to make old computer pick up wireless signal in house
I have moved my old computer to the back of the house and was wondering how easy and cheap it would be to add wireless to it. I have a cisco valet for my router and a modem in another room. My laptop picks up the wireless and now I want to add wireless to the old dell. I found this belkin product and wondered if it would do the trick?
Attached Thumbnails
Simple way to make old computer pick up wireless signal in house-wireless.jpg  
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,611 posts.

26-May-2011, 10:38 PM #2
That's a wireless N adapter and not a wireless B/G adapter. Does your home network support wireless N?

--------------------------------------------------------------

What's the model name and model number of that old Dell, and what version of Windows does it have?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 6,375 posts.

27-May-2011, 12:25 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
That's a wireless N adapter and not a wireless B/G adapter. Does your home network support wireless N?
--------------------------------------------------------------
What's the model name and model number of that old Dell, and what version of Windows does it have?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Cisco Valet supports g and n, so I guess yes on the first question. Is there a way to be sure which one I'm running?

Its a Dell Dimension 2400 .....windows xp.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,611 posts.

27-May-2011, 08:39 AM #4
According to its system requirements, it supports Windows XP - as long as it has SP3.

I'm not an expert on a wireless network setup, so I'll leave you with TerryNet and etaf and the other experts here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 6,375 posts.

27-May-2011, 11:55 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
According to its system requirements, it supports Windows XP - as long as it has SP3.

I'm not an expert on a wireless network setup, so I'll leave you with TerryNet and etaf and the other experts here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure it has SP3......Hopefully TerryNet or etaf see this thread and give their opinion. Thanks flavallee
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

27-May-2011, 01:51 PM #6
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,018 posts.

27-May-2011, 08:22 PM #7
That adapter may or may not do the job for you. The main thing to consider, other than to make sure your Operating System is supported, is the path from the router to the antenna. If you get a USB adapter it's better to get one with a short USB extension cable (example) so that the adapter can be in a better position (maybe on top the desktop) or one with an external antenna (example).

27-May-2011, 09:13 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
That adapter may or may not do the job for you. The main thing to consider, other than to make sure your Operating System is supported, is the path from the router to the antenna. If you get a USB adapter it's better to get one with a short USB extension cable (example) so that the adapter can be in a better position (maybe on top the desktop) or one with an external antenna (example).
I just showed the belkin product as an example of a simple solution. I don't care which brand I use, I just want to get something that will work. I was hoping there would be a simple plug in device that would work. Sounds like I need to do a little research on how everything will work in sinc. before I buy anything.
Computer Specs

27-May-2011, 09:17 PM #9
I'm not advocating for or against any brand.
Member with 6,375 posts.

27-May-2011, 09:28 PM #10
TerryNet.....the product you showed as example would work though for my situation, right? I'm guessing it plugs into the pc via usb?
Computer Specs

27-May-2011, 09:50 PM #11
I expect that both products that I showed as examples will work for you. But, we can't know for sure until you try. They both connect by USB.
Member with 6,375 posts.

27-May-2011, 09:55 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
I expect that both products that I showed as examples will work for you. But, we can't know for sure until you try. They both connect by USB.
oops, I couldn't get the example of the Belkin to open, and now it opened. That one is only $16.00. Thanks. I'll let you know how it all works out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!