Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Phones & Handheld Devices Phones & Handheld Devices
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot remove music from iphone...

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 378 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jan-2012, 10:44 AM #1
Cannot remove music from iphone... No matter what!
Hi Everyone,

Here's my situation. I recently deleted a large chunk of music from my computer that I no longer listen to.
I then attempted to sync my iPhone to remove the unwanted tracks from there as well but got the error:

"iPhone cannot be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all of the items in the iTunes Library (additional space required)."

So I unticked the Sync Music option in iTunes, as this should remove all music from the phone and allow me to then resync all the music in my Library. However, the music is still on the phone! The music section of my iPhone appears in iTunes as empty, but the capacity bar at the bottom denotes that 5.5GB (the original amount of music before I deleted almost half of it) of music data is still present on the device... Also, if I unplug my iPhone and look for music all of my old collection of songs (except some greyed out songs - all farily newly added tracks I might add) are there!

So I tried repeating the process of unticking the Sync Music option, Syncing, Unplugging. Music is still on iPhone. Plug it in, 5.5GB of music still exists on the phone according to iTunes.

I tried deleting the back-up in the iTunes Preferences, and then repeating all of the above. STILL the 5.5GB of music exists!

I have tried deleting all the music from the iTunes Library, syncing which makes the capacity bar drop to 0GB during the sync, but then it jumps back up to 5.5GB after its finished syncing.

As an addendum:
  • I do not allow my phone to autosync, its all manual.
  • I do not let iTunes manage my music collection (and make AAC copies or move the music into other folders etc), instead the music I want on my phone is dropped into a cleared iTunes Library and then synced to my phone.
  • The option of "Sync only ticked songs and videos" is on, but I never have any video content attached to iTunes, and I only ever have what I want on my iPhone in my iTunes Library...

No music on iPhone

No music in iTunes Library (e.g nothing should be copied)

Before I sync (with or without Sync Music option ticked), note the Capacity bar at 5.5GB Audio files

As iTunes Sync's the iPhone (with or without Sync Music ticked) the Capacity drops to nothing

The Capacity bar then jumps back up to 5.5GB after the Sync is complete...!

I ran Diagnostics (as this is all I could think to do at this point) and did a device sync test. Below is the result.

Microsoft Windows Vista x64 x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Dell Inc. Inspiron 530
iTunes 10.5.2.11
QuickTime 7.7.1
FairPlay 1.13.37
Apple Application Support 2.1.6
iPod Updater Library 10.0d2
CD Driver 2.2.2.0
CD Driver DLL 2.1.3.0
Apple Mobile Device 4.0.0.97
Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.57.0.0
Bonjour 3.0.0.10 (333.10)
Gracenote SDK 1.9.5.502
Gracenote MusicID 1.9.5.115
Gracenote Submit 1.9.5.143
Gracenote DSP 1.9.5.45

iTunes Serial Number 00D0B21C034D1C10

Current user is an administrator.
The current local date and time is 2012-01-08 14:29:37.
iTunes is not running in safe mode.
WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.
HDCP is not supported.
Core Media is supported.

Video Display Information

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Intel Corporation, Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

Plug-in Name: Last.fm AudioScrobbler
Plug-in Loaded: Yes
Plug-in Version: 1.0.4
Plug-in File Version: 3.0.4.0
Plug-in Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\Plug-ins\itw_scrobbler.dll

iPodService 10.5.2.11 (x64) is currently running.
iTunesHelper 10.5.2.11 is currently running.
Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

**** Device Sync Tests ****

Sync tests completed successfully.

Last edited by matt.choules; 08-Jan-2012 at 05:54 PM..
WyndhamC WyndhamC is offline WyndhamC has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jan-2012, 07:36 AM #2
Similar issue - unable to sync
I got a message saying "The iPhone is synced with another iTunes library. So you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?"

In response, I selected "Erase and Sync" and then got the "cannot be synced because there is not enough free space...." message.

Before anyone suggests I am trying to copy too much, this is NOT the issue. For some reason iTunes is not erasing the iPhone.

In order to try and resolve this, I selected to sync music, selected (etc) with no music in the library. Nothing else is selected to sync so insufficient space is impossible.

I have tried restoring from backup; have deleted the iTunes library settings, with no success.

Perhaps there is an option to clear the "library confusion"...

Any suggestions?
Computer Specs
Member with 378 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jan-2012, 07:55 AM #3
I found I could delete my music from iPhone, but only by doing this:
Settings > General > Usage > Music
Then swipe Delete.

I found this finally deleted all my music from my iPhone, then I started again by syncing my music from iTunes.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!