Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Phones & Handheld Devices Phones & Handheld Devices
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Cannot log into my wi-fi with Ipod touch

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 66 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jan-2012, 01:12 PM #1
Solved: Cannot log into my wi-fi with Ipod touch
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 2804 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, 896 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953859 MB, Free - 638919 MB; D: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 153165 MB;
Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DX58SO
Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have a D-Link DGL-4500 gaming router. I took my old custom made PC and moved it upstairs for my wife to use. I had another custom built PC made and put it in my downstairs office. I installed an antenna card in the upstairs PC and bought the router instead of wiring the house. This was about 3 years ago. After I did my best to get the upstairs PC working at a slow 53M/s I left it working like that. Last year my wife was given an Ipod touch and she had no problem logging into the wi-fi (WPA). A few weeks ago I got her a second monitor for her PC and had my local Computer shop set it up since I've been chopped and diced by surgery this past year and cannot run up and down the stairs like I used to. While the guy was here I had him look at the router set up and he set it up again this time correctly I guess since the upstairs PC increased to 130M/s. When my wife tried using her Ipod touch again she could no longer log in to my wi-fi. I have all the passwords and info from the router but no one has been able to get her Ipod logged in. Not sure what the problem is but we and others have had no luck. Please help.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,047 posts.

15-Jan-2012, 04:31 PM #2
i wonder if the router has been changed to "N" how old is the ipod touch - it may not support "N" - not sure on this info though
I know the touch does not support the 40Mhz range in the 2,4GHZ signal and also the 5Ghz signal

the router may have been changed to 5Ghz and the ipod does NOT support 5ghz

can we see an xirrus screen shot from the PC

slow 53M/s = Wireless "G" = 54 Mbps and thats faster than most broadbands speeds

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/0047...etup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi...uide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 66 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jan-2012, 05:45 PM #3
I kept trying different things and I found the correct login method about one hour ago. I had to hit the up arrow each time I hit another letter to make each letter a capital. The router generated password was a ten digit combo of letters and numbers. Nobody ever suspected, including me, that the password was case sensitive. This case is solved! Sorry to bother you guys with such good football games on today. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,047 posts.

15-Jan-2012, 05:51 PM #4
excellent - thanks for letting us know
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!