Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Phones & Handheld Devices Phones & Handheld Devices
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Apple 8GB iPod Touch / 3rd Generation

(!)

Member with 47 posts.

Experience: less than intermediate
08-Mar-2010, 05:34 PM #1
Apple 8GB iPod Touch / 3rd Generation
Does anyone know the SAR rating on the Apple 8GB iPod Touch / 3rd Generation?

Or how to go about finding it relevant to the U.K.?

I read this "The iPod Touch also doesn't have to comply with SAR level regulations in 80 different countries, whereas the iPhone had to be built to keep the radiation level to a minimum."
Here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=570562 And found it quite surprising.

With any luck it's not just me thinkng about this.

Out of interest, how does flight mode work to stop emissions?

Any thoughts welcome?

Thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

08-Mar-2010, 07:05 PM #2
The iPod Touch isn't a cell phone. I would hope you're not holding it up to your head to use it.

What kind of "emissions" are you talking about?
Member with 47 posts.

09-Mar-2010, 08:43 AM #3
I'm not hold it to my head,

I'm wondering if in flight mode, does that shut off some of the connectivity or all of it, can I switch off the WiFi? If I so needed? I wondered from reading this;

"Other names include airplane mode, offline mode, and standalone mode. FM Receiver, Bluetooth, wireless LAN antenna and GPS should still be operative if the phone is so equipped. Nevertheless certain airlines specifically prohibit the use of devices with a 'Flight mode' at all times." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_mode Does that sound right?

Thanks.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

09-Mar-2010, 08:45 AM #4
Yes, you can turn off the WiFi. There's no FM receiver or GPS on the iPod Touch. I don't know about Bluetooth on the later generations.

I think you're still confusing the iPod Touch with the iPhone. There's no "airplane mode" on an iPod Touch because there's no cellular component to disable. It's not a cell phone.
Member with 47 posts.

09-Mar-2010, 10:26 AM #5
Right, so therefore other than bluetooth it would appear that all connectivity can be turned off then..!?

However, I read this which points to there being an airplane mode, here; http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=278709

"Next question, I was wondering about Airplane mode on my iPod Touch. I have enabled it and it is shown in settings, but when I click on it, it goes to ON for about half a second, then switches to OFF again. Is there a way to make it act normally? I think I have to edit a .plist file somewhere but I do not know which one. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated."

Thanks.
Member with 3,009 posts.

09-Mar-2010, 05:47 PM #6
The 8GB model wasn't upgraded to 3rd generation hardware, it's just a repacked 2G model. Only the 32GB and 64GB models are third generation.
Both the WiFi AND the Bluetooth can be turned off.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!