Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Phones & Handheld Devices Phones & Handheld Devices
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connect Smart Phone to Internet via wireless router

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-May-2011, 01:05 PM #1
Connect Smart Phone to Internet via wireless router
Hi I just purchased an LG P500 phone with android 2.2. I am having no luck connecting the phone to the internet at home. I travel and in a hotel I can connect to the internet no problem. When I scan and connect the phone finds the network and connects, I am then asked for the login ID and pass word from the hotel and I am connected. So far no problem. When I get home I want to connect the phone to the internet so I scan for my wireless router. The phone and the router see each other, the router asks for the router WEP pass word I input it and the phone connects, no problem. I try to go on the internet and the phone tells me no connection.

This is likely because my connection is through the phone line, I have ADSL. When I connect with my laptop either wireless or with cable at my desk, I connect with the router using the WEP and then when I connect to the internet I use my login ID and pass word for the IP provider. Therfore my problem is that the smart phone can't get to the internet becasure I haven't logged in to the provider.

I have looked and looked but I can't find anything on the smartphone about sending or keying the User ID and PW for the internet service I have. Is it me or is this a limitation of my setup?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Louie....
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,523 posts.

27-May-2011, 01:18 PM #2
Quote:
then when I connect to the internet I use my login ID and pass word for the IP provider. Therfore my problem is that the smart phone can't get to the internet becasure I haven't logged in to the provider.
usually the username and password is in the modem (modem router combination , which you may have ) to make the connection to the internet always ON

whats the make and model of the modem and router
who is the ISP
Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

27-May-2011, 01:52 PM #3
The modem is an Alice Gate 2 Plus Wi-Fi. The provider is Infostrada also known as Libero.it. By the way I live in Italy.

For more info I can tell you that I can connect more than one computer with a cable, but when I do the second computer also needs to provide the WEP password to connect to the router and the login ID to connect to the provider.
Computer Specs

27-May-2011, 01:59 PM #4
i have looked at this site (and translated to english)
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%26prmd%3Divns

this is the site - without translation http://assistenzatecnica.telecomital...POSITORY/20005

this is a partcular interesting comment in the site
Quote:
If the subscription that you have subscribed is 'flat rate' (traffic included 24 hours on 24), Alice Gate modem will automatically set up to always be connected to the Internet (Routed Mode) in order to avoid having to run every time the connection from the PC .
do you know if you have that type of subscription ?
Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

27-May-2011, 02:05 PM #5
Yes I have the flat rate but not through Alice. I have an Alice Modem, but not a subscription. I used to be subscribed to alice years ago, But I changed to Infostrada. Everytime I connect to the net I have to enter the user id and pw so I'm pretty sure the always connected doesn't apply.

Last edited by Lou-55; 27-May-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Computer Specs

27-May-2011, 02:41 PM #6
Quote:
I used to be subscribed to alice years ago, But I changed to Infostrada. Everytime I connect to the net I have to enter the user id and pw so I'm pretty sure the always connected doesn't apply.
so do you have a program on the PC that you run to do the connection?
Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

27-May-2011, 02:53 PM #7
No, When I click on connect to the net using outlook or the IN Explorer I have window pop up that has my user id and password in it. It was created from the configure network connection wizzard in windows 7. I started at the link you sent me and have found out that the modem supplied by Alice is somehow locked. It does not allow me to modify anything other that the WEP. It also says that it is in bridged mode, don't know what this means though. I kept looking and found several site and articles that have a procedure to reset the modem and load new firmware to make it a regular mode/router. Maybe this is the problem.

http://backtrackcommunity.wordpress....dsl2-wireless/

Could this be my problem. If it is, I'll just go buy a new router. I don't fell like going through all this. What do you think?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!