Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

In Memoriam

(!)

Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
06-Aug-2004, 03:51 PM #241
From CNN:

'Super Freak' Rick James dead
Friday, August 6, 2004 Posted: 1934 GMT (0334 HKT)

(CNN) -- Singer Rick James was found dead in his home Friday morning by his caretaker, a Los Angeles police Department spokesman said.

James, 56, was a musical icon of the early 1980's and credited with helping to create the "punk funk" style of music that was characterized in his 1981 album "Street Songs."

"Street Songs" was widely acclaimed as a masterpiece upon its release and featured such hits as "Super Freak," "Give it To Me Baby," and "Fire and Desire."

"Street Songs" went triple platinum and catapulted James into the forefront of the funk movement.

The album's gritty content earned James a bad boy reputation that he often had a tough time living down. Some critics said it led to his eventual involvement with drugs and a conviction for aggravated assault and false imprisonment in the 1990s.
June 18, 2007: My niece Christi had her baby GIRL! 10:15 a.m.....Emily Debra....7 Lbs. 10 Ozs....21" in length. She has a little dark hair...moves her lips and mouth so sweetly...has pretty petite features...thank you God!!

08-Aug-2004, 08:30 PM #242
Goodbye Ol' Red!

Red Adair, world-renowned firefighter, dies
Sunday, August 8, 2004 Posted: 4:18 AM EDT (0818 GMT)

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Paul N. "Red" Adair, a world-renowned oil well firefighter who revolutionized the science of capping exploding and burning wells, has died, his daughter said. He was 89.

Adair, who boasted that none of his employees ever suffered a serious injury fighting the dangerous fires, died Saturday evening of natural causes at a Houston hospital, his daughter, Robyn Adair, told The Associated Press.

Adair founded Red Adair Co. Inc. in 1959 and is credited with battling more than 2,000 land and offshore oil well fires, including the hundreds of wells left burning after the Iraqis fled Kuwait at the end of the Persian Gulf War in 1991.

The 5-foot-7 Houston native proudly spent his 76th birthday clad in his traditional red overalls, swinging valves in place as his crews capped 117 Kuwaiti wells left burning by retreating Iraqi troops.

"Retire? I don't know what that word means," he told reporters at the time. "As long as a man is able to work and he's productive out there and he feels good -- keep at it. I've got too many of my friends that retired and went home and got on a rocking chair, and about a year and a half later, I'm always going to the cemetery."

Adair, who finally did retire in 1994 and sold his company, was instrumental in expediting the shipment of crucial supplies and equipment into Kuwait by testifying before the Gulf Pollution Task Force and meeting with then-President George H.W. Bush about the logistics of the firefighting operation.

Thanks in part to Adair's expertise, a firefighting operation expected to last three to five years was completed in nine months, saving millions of barrels of oil and stopping an intercontinental air pollution disaster.

Adair barely changed his hectic pace as he continued to pursue his specialty. His concession to later years was an occasional mid-afternoon nap as a crew boss watched over operations. His hearing had deteriorated somewhat because of years of standing amid thundering well fires.

"It scares you: all the noise, the rattling, the shaking," Adair once said, describing a blowout. "But the look on everybody's face when you're finished and packing, it's the best smile in the world; and there's nobody hurt, and the well's under control."

Adair spent a lifetime using explosives, drilling mud and concrete to control and cap wild well fires.

His death-defying feats included battling the July 1988 explosion of the Piper Alpha platform that killed 167 men in the North Sea.

His daring and his reputation for having never met a blowout he couldn't cap earned him the nickname "Hellfighter." It inspired the title of a 1968 movie based on Adair's life, "The Hellfighters," in which John Wayne played him.

"That's one of the best honors in the world: To have The Duke play you in a movie," Adair said.

Adair, who never showed fear in life, joked in 1991 that the hereafter would be no different.

"I've done made a deal with the devil," Adair said. "He said he's going to give me an air-conditioned place when I go down there, if I go there, so I won't put all the fires out."
Account Disabled with 55,854 posts.

Experience: Need no stinking badges
13-Aug-2004, 11:23 AM #243
Julia Child
TV Cook Show Host Julia Child Dies
Julia Child, Whose TV Shows Taught Millions to Cook, Dies at 91 in Her Sleep

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040813_794.html
Member with 17,178 posts.

Experience: Been there, done that, st
13-Aug-2004, 05:49 PM #244
She will be missed. She always felt like that quirky, way cool aunt who knew so much, and you always looked forward to her visit.

25-Aug-2004, 01:33 PM #245
'On Death' author Kubler-Ross dies
Among Time's top 100 thinkers of 20th century

Wednesday, August 25, 2004 Posted: 9:13 AM EDT (1313 GMT)

PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, an internationally known psychiatrist, author and expert on death and dying who became a pioneer for hospice care, has died, her family said. She was 78.

Kubler-Ross, who suffered a series of strokes in 1995, died Tuesday of natural causes at home.

Kubler-Ross' 1969 book "On Death and Dying" was a best seller with her theory that the dying go through five stages of grief -- denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

Kubler-Ross wrote more than 20 books dealing with the natural phenomenon of dying with her writings translated in 26 languages, according to her Web site.

Born in Zurich, Switzerland, Kubler-Ross graduated medical school at the University of Zurich in 1957. She came to New York the following year and was appalled by hospital treatment of dying patients.

Kubler-Ross began giving lectures featuring terminally ill patients, who talked about what they were going through. That led to her 1969 book.

In 1999, Time magazine named Kubler-Ross as one of the "100 Most Important Thinkers" of the past century.

29-Aug-2004, 07:34 AM #246
Shocked and saddened to hear of Laura's death so young! A year younger than me! I loved her song "Gloria" and remember it was used in "Flashdance"....the scene where the girl did the ice-skating competition. Ironic in a way...as that girl, Sunni Johnson, died right after that movie came out at age 23 of a brain aneurysm!

Singer Laura Branigan dies at 47
Sunday, August 29, 2004 Posted: 6:35 AM EDT (1035 GMT)

EAST QUOGUE, New York (AP) -- Laura Branigan, a Grammy-nominated pop singer best known for her 1982 platinum hit "Gloria," has died. She was 47.

Branigan died Thursday at home in her sleep, said her manager, John Bowers. He would not disclose the cause, although her official Web site listed it as a brain aneurysm.

"Gloria," a signature song from her debut album "Branigan," stayed atop the pop charts for 36 weeks and earned her a Grammy nomination for best female pop vocalist, the first of four nominations in her career.

She also made television appearances, including guest spots on "CHIPS," and in the films "Mugsy's Girls" and "Backstage."

Branigan released seven albums after her debut "Branigan," including "Solitaire," "Self Control," and "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You," which was co-written with Michael Bolton. Her songs also appeared on soundtracks for the films "Flashdance" and "Ghostbusters."

Branigan, born July 3, 1957, and raised in Brewster, New York, attended the Academy of Dramatic Arts in Manhattan. During the late 1970s, she toured Europe as a backing vocalist for Canadian singer and songwriter Leonard Cohen. She signed as a solo artist with Atlantic Records in 1982.

After her run of success in the 1980s, her releases in the early 1990s attracted little attention. In 1994, she sang a duet with David Hasselhoff called "I Believe" for the soundtrack of the television show "Baywatch." She released a 13-track "Best of Branigan" LP the next year.

After the death of her husband, Lawrence Kruteck, in 1996, Branigan stopped performing but returned to the stage in 2001. In 2002 she starred as Janis Joplin in the off-Broadway musical "Love, Janis," which earned her rave reviews.

Branigan recently had been working on material for a new release.

She is survived by her mother, two brothers and a sister. Funeral services are scheduled for Monday.

20-Sep-2004, 01:52 PM #247
And another beautiful voice is stilled.

Nashville legend Skeeter Davis dead
Singer hit No. 1 with 'End of the World'
09/20/04 11:11 AM, EDT

Skeeter Davis, who hit the top of the pop charts with "The End of the World" in 1963 and sang on the Grand Ole Opry radio show for more than 40 years, died Sunday of cancer. She was 72.

20-Sep-2004, 02:56 PM #248
Attorney to Stars Marvin Mitchelson Dies at 76
Mon Sep 20, 2004 07:13 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Marvin Mitchelson, the Hollywood divorce lawyer who pioneered the concept of "palimony," died on Saturday in Beverly Hills, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 76.

Mitchelson, who represented Joan Collins, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Roseanne Arnold and boxer Mike Tyson among other celebrities, died at the Rehabilitation Center of Beverly Hills after a long battle with cancer, a spokeswoman told Reuters.

"He was working right up until a couple months ago. He loved to work," Mitchelson's publicist Sy Presten told Reuters.

Mitchelson first gained national attention as a young attorney in 1963 when he won a Supreme Court ruling that guaranteed legal representation for indigents who appealed court decisions.

But he became best known as a high-profile divorce lawyer who represented the likes of Marlon Brando's ex-wife, actress Anna Kashfi, Bob Dylan's ex-wife, Sara, James Mason's ex-wife, Pamela, and many others.

In 1979 Mitchelson represented actor Lee Marvin's ex-girlfriend, Michelle Triola, in a now-famous "palimony" case, a term Mitchelson coined for the division of assets of unmarried couples who separated.

"He always said palimony is a commitment with no rings. He told me that many times," Presten said.

In 1993, Mitchelson was convicted for not paying taxes on some $2 million in income. He was suspended by the California bar, forced into bankruptcy and lost his Beverly Hills home.

After exhausting his appeals, Mitchelson eventually served two years in prison from 1996 to 1998, an experience he later credited with changing his outlook on life.

During his prison term, Mitchelson ran the law library, organized an opera club and helped many of his fellow inmates with appeals, overturning several convictions.

After a seven-year suspension, the California State Bar allowed Mitchelson to resume his law practice in 2000 after determining he was fit to return to the legal profession.

Last year Mitchelson won a $216-million settlement from King Fahd bin Abdul Aziz of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia after a decades-old divorce battle between a Saudi sheik who had been a member of the Saudi royal family and his estranged wife.

Born in Detroit, Mitchelson spent most of his life studying, living and working in the Los Angeles area. He wrote two books, including "Made In Heaven, Settled In Court," (1979) and "Living Together" (1981).

He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Marcella and son, Morgan. Funeral services will be private.

29-Sep-2004, 06:01 PM #249
'It's Raining Men' singer dead
Wednesday, September 29, 2004 Posted: 10:08 AM EDT (1408 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Izora Rhodes Armstead, who sang the 1980's dance club hit "It's Raining Men" as one half of the Weather Girls, has died. Her age was unknown.

Armstead, who along with partner Martha Wash started out as background singers for San Francisco disco diva Sylvester before forming the Weather Girls, died on September 16 of heart failure at a hospital in San Leandro, about 20 miles east of San Francisco.

Armstead and Wash, who met when they sang in the same gospel group, were known as Two Tons O' Fun when they sang on four Sylvester Albums, including his No. 1 club hits, "Dance (Disco Heat)" and "(You Make Me Feel) Mighty Real."

After leaving Sylvester, they made three albums as the Weather Girls before splitting up. One of the albums, "Success," featured the 1983 song "It's Raining Men" -- co-written by "Late Show" bandleader Paul Shaffer -- which was a No. 1 dance club hit.
Member with 19,134 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2004, 06:08 PM #250
its odd that this thread would pop up. I almost thought about finding it myself.

Paul Lashomb, 68, killed yesterday in a head on collision with another car (the other car was at fault) He died on the scene, as did the other driver. He was the father of my best friend, Kimmy. He was a quiet man with a gentle spirit. Very likable.

29-Sep-2004, 06:14 PM #251
It was meant to be Val!

Sorry to hear of the death of Paul. It seems there is so much grief around here lately...Bruce's wife dying...Eddie's Grandpa dying....Candy's friend's daughter dying.... so sad. *Hugs*
Member with 19,134 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Sep-2004, 06:20 PM #252
I hadnt heard about Eddies gramp passing, or Candy's friends daughter! Guess I need to get to announcements and see for myself. Thanks for the heads up!

29-Sep-2004, 06:25 PM #253
Candy's friend's daughter was that pretty 19 year old girl who died at a campus from binge drinking...I believe you'll find details in the "Broken News" thread. Eddie's Grandpa is in the thread in "Announcements."

29-Sep-2004, 06:36 PM #254

04-Oct-2004, 09:22 AM #255
First of all...in memory of LANMaster's grandson Jaden who died at 4 hours of age.....

And in case you don't read "Breaking News".

'Psycho' Star Janet Leigh Dies at 77
Mon Oct 4, 2004 08:21 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hollywood movie star Janet Leigh, best known as the knife attack victim in Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho," has died at the age of 77, CNN reported on Monday.

"Janet Leigh died peacefully in her home Sunday afternoon," Heidi Schaeffer, a spokeswoman for Leigh's daughter, actress Jamie Lee Curtis, was quoted as saying.

Leigh died in her Beverly Hills home. Daughters Jamie Lee and Kelly Curtis and her fourth husband, Robert Brandt, were at the home, Schaeffer said.

Leigh had been battling vasculitis -- an inflammation of the blood vessels -- for a year, she said.

Leigh also appeared in films such as "The Manchurian Candidate" (1962), "Bye Bye Birdie" (1963), "Little Women" (1949) and "Touch of Evil" (1958).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!