Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hurricane season 2012

(!)

Member with 2,060 posts.

14-May-2012, 01:20 PM #1
Hurricane season 2012
Well, the calendar has sure flipped pages pretty fast, and that time of the year is almost upon us. June 1 is the official start of the 2012 hurricane season. The last few years we have been quite fortunate in Florida - but the Northeast got quite a wake up call last year. I will post storms as they appear on the tv weather reports, but will only post additional info of storms that might actually be a threat to the coastline.

Now is a good time to make sure you have all your hurricane needs like flashlights, batteries, etc. stored and get those storm shutters ready. Make sure the mechanical ones are in good working order, buy your plywood now and store it where it won't warp. That way you won't have to deal the crowds and shortages if and when a storm is closing in. We created shutters out of corrugated aluminum panels. We have all the holes drilled and just have to screw them in when needed. Remember, the insurance companies pay better when they see you took steps to secure your property. Taped windows is a joke - it doesn't work.

Last year, the first named storm appeared just about now.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,568 posts.

14-May-2012, 09:31 PM #2
I guess it pays to be in AZ... had nothing over here since I have been here.
Member with 8,456 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-May-2012, 07:50 PM #3
Fortunately, Tampa has a storm repellant shield around it!
Member with 2,060 posts.

16-May-2012, 10:16 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyTech View Post
Fortunately, Tampa has a storm repellant shield around it!
Don't you wish! Ha Ha! We have been extremely fortunate though that is for certain. I'm up in Hernando County. 2004 was our last busy season - 3 storms in as many weeks! We were in our local evacuation center up here. It was our first time since moving here in '85. Elena welcomed us to Florida that year. We didn't have to evacuate for that one though. The storm never made landfall but sat off our coast threatening to come ashore for three days - then headed up the Gulf Coast.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

17-May-2012, 02:40 PM #5
My father and brother in laws are in St. Pete. I think one was close to them before in the last few years
Member with 2,060 posts.

17-May-2012, 03:22 PM #6
Probably one of the ones I mentioned in my previous post.

17-May-2012, 03:25 PM #7
Probably. My father in law mentioned about that he is in the highest peak so he doesn't get told to evacuate... is that true?
Member with 2,060 posts.

17-May-2012, 08:48 PM #8
Not familiar with evacuation zones in the St Pete area. If you want to check for yourself, go to http://www.stpete.org/hurricane/evacuation.asp.
Member with 2,060 posts.

19-May-2012, 08:57 PM #9
Tropical storm alberto
Well, hurricane season is off an running with our first named storm - Alberto. A tropical storm located 100 miles off the S Carolina coast, no warnings have been issued.This is the earliest storm since 2003.

Member with 2,060 posts.

20-May-2012, 01:10 PM #10
Well, Alberto seems to be hugging the coast on his journey north. No landfalls predicted as of now.

Member with 2,060 posts.

23-May-2012, 04:13 PM #11
Here are some informative videos dealing with hurricane season. There have been some changes to the Safir-Simpson scale used to determining storm categories.

http://www.weather.com/news/hurrican...ecast-20120522
Member with 2,060 posts.

26-May-2012, 06:33 AM #12
Subtropical storm beryl forms
Our next entry into this hurricane season is SubTropical Storm Beryl which should impact northern Florida over the next few days.

Member with 2,060 posts.

26-May-2012, 11:55 AM #13
Watches Posted for Beryl
Watches up for SubTropical Storm Beryl

Member with 2,060 posts.

27-May-2012, 09:28 AM #14
Looks like central to northern Florida is going to get some much needed rain - bring it on!!!! My garden could sure use it. We water constantly but it has been so dry it is just getting by. Veggies are coming out, but this rain could really get it in high gear.
Member with 2,060 posts.

27-May-2012, 04:46 PM #15
Beryl now a tropical storm
No longer a SubTropical system, Beryl is now a Tropical Storm with winds to 65 mph (remember 75 mph is a hurricane). Some evacuations have been ordered along the Georgia coastline.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!