Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do anyone know how to make that Yellow Fried Rice found in Chinese Takeout Places?

(!)

Member with 355 posts.

03-Mar-2003, 05:16 AM #1
Do anyone know how to make that Yellow Fried Rice found in Chinese Takeout Places?
man, that rice is sure good!! I'm talking about the Yellow Fried Rice and Not the regular Fried Rice that is coated with Soy Sauce.

It is quite different!! I wonder how they make it? It is yellow in color and not Brown color like the Regular Fried rice.

Can someone ask for me? Thank you! I do appreciate it! I am too shy to ask the person myself.

How do they do that? I dont think it's food coloring but is there soy sauce in it?? I can't tell because it in not brown.

Thanks!!
anlore2001   (Andrew) anlore2001 is offline anlore2001 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 7,130 posts.

03-Mar-2003, 05:50 AM #2
found this on Google... Use the light (color wise) soy sauce for the best results

How to Make Fast and Easy Fried Rice

by Daniel Lin
Article Rating = 3.72 (152 votes)
Rate This Article
Current Rating = 3.72

So you want to learn how to make fried rice, but you don't want to spend a lot of time or money to do it. Well, you've come to the right place.

There are a few things you'll need before you can make fried rice. I only list them here for the starving college student with few utenils and cookware to work with.

1. Big pot. Obvious? Maybe. Some would use a pan, but it'll just be plain messy that way.
2. A way to make rice. I'd say you needed a rice cooker or steamer, but then this wouldn't be very easy all of a sudden, would it? If you have a steamer, great. If not, you can always make your rice in a pot.
3. Something to stir the rice. This is just self explanatory.
4. Knife.
5. Bowl.

Ingredients. To make the absolute bare minimun of fried rice, you'll need ingredients 1-4. It won't taste or look the greatest, but you may be able to pass it off as fried rice to your friends if you're very convincing.

1. Rice. Whatever brand. For two servings, use half a cup of rice. Just remember, the rice will expand. (Really, some people forget...)
2. Egg. One egg per half cup of rice is my rule.
3. Olive oil. Any oil will do, although i feel olive or canola oil is the healthiest. One tablespoon should be enough.
4. Soy sauce. Rule of thumb--any Asian meal needs soy sauce. You'll be right 70% of the time.
5. Green onins/chives. You'll need two stalks per half cup of rice.
6. Meat. If you want meat, use some. Generally, i precook the meat before i add it. This recipe will not include instructions for adding meat, as it will only get complicated.
7. Frozen green peas/other veggies. These do not have to be frozen, but by simply saying "frozen" i make the receipe sound that much easier to handle.
8. Pepper, sesame oil, etc. To taste.

Procedure. This is only a rough skeleton of how you should do this. Modify it as you wish.

1. Make the rice. Then let it sit. It is important that the rice is not so freshly made that it's hot and steaming. You need rice that has cooled down to room temperature or close to it. You could even make the rice and refridgerate it overnight if you prepared.
2. Scramble the egg in the bowl. Don't cook it yet!
3. Cut the green onions into little pieces. You'll know how.
4. Put the oil in the big pot and turn on the heat.
5. When the oil is hot, scramble the egg.
6. About when the egg is done, add the rice.
7. Try your best to break up the rice.
8. Stir that for a few minutes, then add your veggies and green onions.
9. Keep stirring until the veggies are no longer frozen.
10. Add your soy sauce slowly. Give a little splash and then stir. You want to give the rice a nice light brown color. You also don't want to make it too salty, so taste it after you've stirred in the splash of soy sauce. Add as much soy sauce as you want. Don't add too much because it'll eventually start to make things a bit soggy.
11. The water from the frozen veggies and the soy sause will slowly evaporate, so stir until you think it's the right consistency for you.

Enjoy.
Member with 5,974 posts.

03-Mar-2003, 05:53 AM #3
Yellow Rice

2-1/2 cups basmati or jasmine rice
5 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/3 teaspoon turmeric

In a large pan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. cover and reduce
heat to low. cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes. Remove
from heat and fluff. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
Makes about 5 cups.
Member with 1,995 posts.

03-Mar-2003, 06:03 AM #4
Here's a whole bunch of fried rice recipes
#33 looks like the way to go but I only checked out a few of them, could be some better one's in there.

Member with 355 posts.

03-Mar-2003, 07:02 AM #5
Thanks for your help guys! Anlore, that is the basic way to cook Fried Rice and it's not that kind of Fried Rice.. I swear When I tasted that Yellow Fried Rice it was soooo Tasty and good!! It was actually yellow (very yellow!) and not a hint of Brown (soy sacue) in it.

I always use light soy sauce becuase it is not too salty and has a lighter taste. And did you see what that cook wrote! Use Olive Oil for cooking!! no no no!! ha ha!! That will overpower the other flavors in the Chinese flavors!! oh my!! A italian flavor mixed in with chinese!! What's next? Having a Potatoe and pasta together???

Joe, yours sound different, i don't know what turmeric is? I try the Spanish yellow rice seasons' but it' not the same as the yellow fry rice..

hello LadyLisa, Forget those Recipes, what say you and me go out for dinner instead, ha ha!! you pretty thing..

Last edited by hi!; 03-Mar-2003 at 07:11 AM..
Member with 355 posts.

03-Mar-2003, 07:34 AM #6
I love Lo Mein (Chinese Stir Fry Noodles) but the supermarkets doesn't carry those noodles so I make my own.

Here is my recipe to share, since you guys share yours..

Stir Fry Noodles with Mussels..

Since I cant' get those noodles I substitute Regular Thick Spagetti

Ingredients:

Light Soy Sauce

Oyster Sauce

Snow Peas, Peas, Onions, Baby spinach..Basically whatever you like!! Scallions,

Garlic (nice chunks! optional) and Ginger (Sliced in thin strips)

heat up the work and pour some oil unto it.. Put in some Chopped crush garlic and Ginger Throw in those delicious Mussels!! Mix in some Light soy sauce and oyster sauce. Basically it will cook fast so when they open take them out.

Ok when mussels are out, throw in your onions and sauted them for a while, add oil if needed. NOTE: Do not clean Wok! Leave that wonderful Mussel juice in there!! Then toss in them Snow Peas, peas, Strips of Carrots.. what ever you want to use!!

Put them noodles in the Wok or saute pan.

Pour some light Soy Sauce and oyster sauce on your Spatula and mix it under and over the mixture.

Add more Ginger or Garlic if needed. I like chunks of Garlic!! You can also add a nice splash of Sesame oil if desire.... don't forget to add back the mussels!!

humm.... you can also add a splash of Dark soy also... Stir some more, toss in the scallions and you're done!! Just look at that nice gloss coating over the noodles!!

Last edited by hi!; 06-Mar-2003 at 03:24 AM..
Wino has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 18,565 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Mar-2003, 09:28 AM #7
CAUTION

DO NOT EAT YELLOW SNOW OR YELLOW RICE!

Member with 9,397 posts.

Experience: Tweedle-Dee
03-Mar-2003, 10:20 AM #8
hi..............the way to do it is to add only one thing.
SAFFRON.
just add it to the pan at the start.
Member with 1,995 posts.

05-Mar-2003, 07:56 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by hi!:

hello LadyLisa, Forget those Recipes, what say you and me go out for dinner instead, ha ha!! you pretty thing..
Hi hi!,
well if you find the right recipe then we might not need to go out for dinner...
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
05-Mar-2003, 03:36 PM #10
You can also add the worlds most expensive seaoning to get the same look and flavor.....saffron!! Soy sauce will make white rice turn brown not yellow. They probably use chicke stock to make the rice in place of water.
Member with 69 posts.

06-Mar-2003, 01:44 AM #11
bingo! Saffron and chicken stock. Just make sure you stop at the atm first. Saffron's as $$ as it is yellow.
Senior Member with 3,953 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Mar-2003, 01:51 AM #12
Saffron is darn pricey, but one can buy a pre-packaged saffron rice.

I used to have to pick it up and ship it to a client of mine who absolutely loved the stuff.

Can't remember the brand, and it is a tad expensive, but doesn't compare to buying saffron on the "free market".

I remember it being in a gold wrapped package, individual serving.....

(at the very least, you can get it and see if that was the taste you had experienced, without shoveling out the bucks)

Don't know if that helps ya out any.....
Member with 355 posts.

06-Mar-2003, 03:05 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by ComputerFix:
Saffron is darn pricey, but one can buy a pre-packaged saffron rice.

(at the very least, you can get it and see if that was the taste you had experienced, without shoveling out the bucks)

Ha ha!! I doubt that a Chinese Fast food Takeout place would use Saffron to make that rice!! ha ha!!

A lot of Chinese places now have that Yellow Fried Rice.. Do you guys know what I am talking about? I'm sure you guys eat at TAkeout Chinese..

Some restruants have the regular fried rice that you can make at home with that Soy Sauce coloring... and Now they got that delicious Yellow Fried Rice.. man that Flavor is kicking!!

I make fried rice at home and the Soy Sauce flavor is not as good...

Can someone ask the dude at the counter next time they do takeout.. thank you!! Is it a Chinese Secret? ha ha!
Member with 355 posts.

06-Mar-2003, 07:02 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyLisa:
Hi hi!,
well if you find the right recipe then we might not need to go out for dinner...
fine, i'll cook you a nice dinner... humm.. but say.. let's have it by the beach after the sun goes down... we can work up an appetie by strolling through the crisp waters and feel the soft sands beneath our feet...

ahhh.. a little candlelight, some lobster and chilled shrimp will sound nice!! Or maybe a little clambake.. with the fire roaring to keep each other warm... a nice glass of wine to sooth away the hetic world we live in!!!

ps. is that your pic on your profile? if it is.. Holy ****...ake mushrooms!!! I'm a lurker and from your old pic, it looks llike you lost a lot of weight!! Congrats on that! You look good... not that you didn't look good before!!
Shadow Bea has a Photo Album
Cherished forever in our hearts with 8,924 posts.

06-Mar-2003, 08:01 AM #15
Here you go Hi!

yellow rice mixes here
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!