Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What does those numbers mean on a CD-RW?

(!)

Member with 355 posts.

30-Apr-2003, 12:48 AM #1
What does those numbers mean on a CD-RW?
I want to get an exteranl CD-RW, it's easier for me than the internal ones.. to messy!!

What does those numbers mean?

Pacific Digital 32x10x40x USB 2.0 External CD-RW Drive

I want to get this one because it is on sale at Staples.com

what does 35x10x40x mean? what is the breakdown of those numbers? I know it means speed or something.. The middle number says 10.. is that like slow? I seen other CD-RW with much much higher numbers but this baby is $90 minus $30 rebate Minus $40 bucks from my Discover Card bonus So it aint bad!!

So regular folks would pay $60 bucks for it.. Is it really slow? Is pacific digital a bad name? Why so cheap? I want to record songs i download from the net and also try to download Video on a CD and play it on my DVD player to watch on TV.

Thanks for your time!! Or should i pay more for a better one!!
Member with 493 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Apr-2003, 01:10 AM #2
One is the speed that it reads, and one is the speed that it burns CDs. I couldn't tell you what the last one is for.
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

30-Apr-2003, 01:59 AM #3
Hi hi!!

32= the speed the unit will burn a cdr
10= the speed the unit will burn a cdrw
40= the speed the unit will read a cd
the unit of speed is 150 kilobytes/second

Pacific Digital is a 'generic'. They rebadge whoever can supply at the cheapest price.
You get what you pay for.

I bought a Samsung(an original equipment supplier) CD RW almost 1 1/2 years ago for $40 that has been and still is great and it's rating is 16x10x32x

Whatever brand you get, make sure the cd burning software will burn all the formats you are going to use(like for video cd's--I don't do any of this but I seem to remember there are some cd formats not included with basic(cheap) software)

Jack
Member with 355 posts.

30-Apr-2003, 02:12 AM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoner:
Hi hi!!

32= the speed the unit will burn a cdr
10= the speed the unit will burn a cdrw
40= the speed the unit will read a cd
the unit of speed is 150 kilobytes/second

Pacific Digital is a 'generic'. They rebadge whoever can supply at the cheapest price.
You get what you pay for.

I bought a Samsung(an original equipment supplier) CD RW almost 1 1/2 years ago for $40 that has been and still is great and it's rating is 16x10x32x

Whatever brand you get, make sure the cd burning software will burn all the formats you are going to use(like for video cd's--I don't do any of this but I seem to remember there are some cd formats not included with basic(cheap) software)

Jack
What does rebadge mean? Does that mean they take a rerub CD-RW and fix it up? And the Samsung that you brought for $40 No way could that been a EXTERNAL cd-rw.. right? I don't want to mess with Internal stuff.. too yucky and messy for me!!! I just want a plug and play..

and as for the burning software I can use whatever software i want right? It don't have to be the junk software that come with the Package. I still have easy cd I can use or something like that. I am not too computer savory.
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

30-Apr-2003, 02:31 AM #5
Hi hi!!

Rebadge means only that the product could have been made by any one of several manufacturers, but the box carries the trade name - Pacific Digital.

My CDRW is an internal unit.
I don't know how reliable the new external units are, but I had a lot of trouble with an external unit(two years ago) that I had to take back for a refund. However my sister has had good luck with an external HP 8210e, but it wasn't cheap.

I use Adaptec Easy CD software and some times Nero for burning certain cd 'images'. Both work for me-- I still use win98se.
I have heard Nero works better with Win 2000 and XP than Easy CD does.

Jack
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!