Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"How Not to Be a Parent" or "Stupid Parent" Thread

(!)

savannah_smiles savannah_smiles is offline savannah_smiles has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 23 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Feb-2007, 02:32 AM #1036
No history of mental illness for woman charged with stabbing deaths of two girls

PUBLISHED: February 6, 2007

By Chad Halcom
Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Macomb Daily staff photo by David N. Posavetz
A handcuffed Jennifer Kukla is led into 41A District Court on Monday with her left arm bandaged from a self-inflicted wound, according to police. She is being held in Macomb County Jail. Her preliminary exam is scheduled for Feb. 15.

Officials said a mother who was hearing "voices" allegedly killed her two children and her pets this past weekend in Macomb Township.
A disheveled Jennifer Anne Kukla, 30, appeared Monday for arraignment at 41A District Court on two counts of first-degree murder in the stabbing deaths of Alexandria Marie Kukla, 8, and half-sister Ashley Kukla, 5, Sunday morning inside the Hometown Macomb mobile home park.

Magistrate Michael Osaer ordered Kukla held without bond in Macomb County Jail and initially scheduled a preliminary exam for Feb. 20, until Kukla and her distraught sister objected in court that the date would coincide with Ashley Kukla's sixth birthday.

Osaer agreed to reschedule the hearing for Feb. 15.

"The person in court was not the person I was raised with. She is not that Jennifer," said Elizabeth Lawrie of Clinton Township, a sister of Kukla and aunt of the two victims.

Lawrie also said Monday that her sister comes from a family history of mental illness, and that her sister also had been concerned in recent days that social workers from Child Protective Services might remove the children from her home. But police and court officials said they found no documented psychiatric treatment for Kukla.

"From what we understand, she's not had any history of psychological problems," said William Cataldo, chief of homicides for Macomb County prosecutors. "This (case) was just a matter of being in the presence of evil."

Although officials differ on the order of events, it's believed that sometime around 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Kukla took four carving knives or butcher blades and dealt multiple stab wounds to the neck region of both girls as well as three family dogs and a tiny white mouse kept in a cage.

Police will require extensive lab testing on the four blades to determine which was used to kill which victims, before the case proceeds to trial Cataldo said.

"There's not much in the way of (defensive) wounds consistent with fighting off an attacker," said Macomb County Medical Examiner Daniel Spitz. "But I would doubt they were asleep at the time or anything. One of the girls was wearing an outdoor winter coat when she was brought for examination."

An autopsy determined that both girls died of multiple stab wounds to the neck region that apparently damaged "vitals" such as the windpipe or arteries and veins, Spitz said. Cataldo and Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel also said the evidence suggests the girls were awake in the early morning hours and "knew what was happening" to them.

"In terms of the time required for premeditation, I'll just say there's evidence from the scene that at some point there was a chase through the house," Cataldo said.

Hackel explained that police only became aware of the crime some 11 hours later, around 6 p.m. Sunday, when another sister of Kukla stopped by the home to check on her, only to have Kukla emerge from the house and claim the children were hurt. That sister then called 911.

"She'd come over to help clean up the house the day before, and left later that night. But she was concerned about her (Kukla) based on some remarks she apparently made the day before, so when she stopped by again she found the door open," Hackel explained. "When she called for her sister, (Kukla) came out of the house and told her only that she had harmed her children."

The mobile home park is located on M-59, east of Romeo Plank Road.

The sister, whose name was not available, told Macomb County Sheriff's dispatchers that she had helped Kukla clean the house the night before and had noticed 10 butcher knives on the kitchen counter.

According to a copy of the 911 call to the sheriff's office, the sister said Kukla said there was a man's voice in her head and she had killed her daughters.

"She said she killed her kids," the sister said, according to the tape. "And I'm not going in the house because she stabbed her arm last night and she's bleeding all over the place. She said she killed her kids."

Court records and Kukla's relatives also indicate the family was beset by some severe financial hardships in recent months, but Cataldo and Hackel insist there is no evidence of money being a motive behind the crimes. They both said Monday that Kukla made many statements about the crime, however, and claimed she had been hearing "voices" telling her to harm the family.

Records and relatives indicate each child has a different father -- Paul Hein of Clinton Township and Jeffrey Lenn Brownlow, 44, who is currently lodged at Carson City Correctional Facility serving 18 months to four years in prison for violating probation and absconding from parolee supervision on a past conviction for failure to pay child support and operating a vehicle while impaired.

But Kevin Lynch, Brownlow's attorney in that matter, said he was unfamiliar with the Kukla family and the child support matter involves another child who is already grown. Hackel said Monday that police made contact with both fathers' families about the incident, though neither were particularly involved in the children's lives.

Court records indicate Hein had been the subject of a prosecution by the paternity/child support unit of the county prosecutor's office, but had recently been back to court this past fall to have his support lowered or modified in the 1999 case.

Kukla herself had been working at a McDonald's location at 23 Mile Road and Romeo Plank in Clinton Township until recently, and officials also said her home had been without running water for at least some time prior to the crimes. Kukla will also require a court-appointed attorney to defend her in the criminal case, and family members were asking for financial support to help with funeral costs for the Kukla children Monday.

"If she had just called me to come up, I would have been happy to take care of them for her for a while," said a tearful Lawrie.

A manager at the McDonald's location declined to comment on Kukla or the crimes, and referred media inquiries to an operations manager who issued a prepared statement.

"The incident that occurred this past weekend was truly unfortunate," operations manager John O'Neil said in the statement. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the victims during this difficult time."

Persons wishing to help the family with funeral expenses can contribute to the "Alexandria and Ashley Memorial Fund," c/o Warren Bank, 38880 Garfield Road, Clinton Township, MI 48038. Funeral arrangements were still pending as of late Monday.

Macomb Daily Staff Writer Mitch Hotts contributed to this report
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
06-Feb-2007, 01:26 PM #1037
Hi Savannah! I've been following that story...very disturbing! Our local news says she stabbed both girls with a fishing knife in the neck...that the older girl tried to run from fear of seeing her little sister stabbed but the mother caught her and did the same to her! So Mom was concerned social services would take the two little girls away from her...well I wonder why! They were living in squalor..no running water in the home! So instead of letting her two little girls go to foster care until she got her life together...she murders them! As far as the hearing voices...probably just building up a defense already! What irks me is the one neighbor lady was on the news saying the mother had mentioned possibly killing her daughters! Why didn't she call someone!! I don't understand people like that!!! If someone poses such a threat...then CALL THE AUTHORITIES instead of waiting to get their 15 minutes of shame on TV talking about it! One phone call could have saved two little girl's lives!!!
June 18, 2007: My niece Christi had her baby GIRL! 10:15 a.m.....Emily Debra....7 Lbs. 10 Ozs....21" in length. She has a little dark hair...moves her lips and mouth so sweetly...has pretty petite features...thank you God!!
Senior Member with 3,015 posts.

06-Feb-2007, 03:18 PM #1038
ALBANY, Ore. — An Albany father has been arrested on suspicion of using a stun gun on his 18-month-old son.

The boy's mother reported the abuse to Albany police.

Investigators say the 21-year-old mother brought her son to the Albany Police Department Saturday. She told police that her husband, 23-year-old Rian Whittman — had been using a stun-gun device on her son.

Police say they discovered Whitman had used the stun-gun many times on the toddler over about a three-week period.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250519,00.html

06-Feb-2007, 03:24 PM #1039
Good afternoon code!

That man is a stinkin' monster! And how come the mother waited THREE WEEKS to report such atrocious abuse!

06-Feb-2007, 05:51 PM #1040
Good afternoon, Marlene.

This is one of those guys I'd like to make sure never make it to trial. I've got a five iron that will do the job nicely. I mean what the hell is he doing that for? Fun? I've never been hit with a stun gun but I can imagine it hurts like hell so the child was crying. And you think this is a good time? I hope he's denied bail and gets the living crap beat out of him in the lock-up.

I know first-hand how poor the foster care system can be but this child is better off living outside this guy's home. But just wait a few years -- he'll be back in court trying to get custody back. He should have to sever parental rights for this. And be sterilized. Then tasered. While standing in a puddle of his own urine.

07-Feb-2007, 09:26 AM #1041
ATLANTA — A man admitted that he tampered with his children's soup in an attempt to get money from Campbell Soup Co., a prosecutor said.

William Allen Cunningham's 3-year-old son and 18-month-old daughter were hospitalized twice in January 2006. He forced them first to eat soup laced with hot peppers and lighter fluid, and the second time used the prescription drugs Prozac and Amitriptyline — both used to treat depression — to poison the children, authorities said

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250620,00.html
savannah_smiles savannah_smiles is offline savannah_smiles has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

07-Feb-2007, 06:04 PM #1042
To many demented fu****ers
I feel parents should go threw a screening and back round check and full mental work up before being aloud to have kids. I mean come on how many innocent children have to suffer or die before society steps in and does something to save these Innocent children... A neighbor can call CPS for what ever the reasons.Then social worker will come in and make a mockery out of what could be a wonderful family while the sick f****ers are out there doing horrible things to there kids with out any one intervening. Till it is to late and the damage is already done.... I know this takes away your right to be a mother or a father but something must be done. To prevent further harm to children. It has become so comment that people are not even faced by these actions. I fear for tomorrows child. I really do. These kids are being desensitized already. The programs on t.v the news there Friends all are improperly influence kids. It has become rare to a child not to have been beaten , raped, molested, poisoned, Or worse. I know I come off very opinionated but I do not want my children to victimized. Or to be a victim of there own statistic.. Children are our future and you live what you learn. Brake the cycle....stop the pain it should never hurt to be a child. and no child should have to live in fear....

08-Feb-2007, 01:07 PM #1043
I posted about this incident in the "Amber Alert" thread...but it's much worse since that first posting! This child had been thought to have gotten out on her own...but this...this is despicable!!! Although he'd knocked her unconscious....maybe had he taken her to the hospital and faced the consequences....she would still be alive! And it tears me up knowing she had gotten uo and walked around before she FROZE TO DEATH! LIFE IN PRISON NO PAROLE!!!

Feb 8, 8:57 AM EST

Father Charged in Child's Exposure Death

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The father of a young girl who died of exposure had knocked her unconscious because he was angry, then took her outside in subfreezing temperatures and left her there, police said before the man's arraignment Thursday.

Nyia Miangel Page, who was about to turn 2, was found dead Sunday on a wooded knoll about a 10 minute walk from the family's home. Tiny footprints in the snow suggested she had gotten up and wandered around before she died, police said. (You know she had to have been so scared...so cold... )

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-08-08-57-08
Account Disabled with 55,854 posts.

Experience: Need no stinking badges
08-Feb-2007, 01:49 PM #1044
Terrible that anyone would abuse a child.
Makes me sick.
Computer Specs
Member with 17,421 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Feb-2007, 10:32 PM #1045
got another idot Guess her tanning was more important

Mom Allegedly Leaves Kids in Car to Tan

Quote:
SHEBOYGAN, Wis. - Sheboygan police arrested a woman after she allegedly left her two children in a freezing car for 20 minutes while she went tanning.

The 27-year-old woman was arrested after two people spotted the children, ages 23 months and 10 years, in the car, the police department said in a news release. The vehicle was locked but not running.

10-Feb-2007, 12:06 AM #1046
They oughta tan her hide!

16-Feb-2007, 04:37 PM #1047
Savannah: I just saw this about you in the Times Herald...best of luck on people coming forward to help you! I'm on a fixed income and can't help you monetarily...but you and Baby Michael remain in my thoughts and prayer! Here's the article:

A fund has been set up to help Savannah Kettlewell of Macomb Township pay what she owes for her infant son’s funeral. Kettlewell’s son, Michael Kettlewell, was suffocated in September 2005. The boy’s father, Michael Ray Dheel, is serving 5 to 22.5 years in prison for the baby’s death.

Kettlewell owes about $1,800 in remaining funeral costs.

To make a donation, send checks or money orders to the attention of Renee Jones at Immanuel Lutheran Church, “Michael Fund,” 415 N. Ninth St., St. Clair, MI 48079.

Any extra donations will go to the St. Clair County Child Abuse and Neglect Council.

17-Feb-2007, 11:09 AM #1048
Savannah: I was so pleased to see another article to help you in the Times Herald today! What special people some of the PHPD are...many thanks to Detective Duane Loxton and Lt. Jim Jones and his wife, Renee for starting the fund! What a blessing for you...and soon those funeral bills will be behind you!! I think if I owned a funeral home and a baby was murdered and the parent(s) couldn't afford to pay the expenses...I'd let them have it free! Anyways Savannah...there are beautiful, caring people still in our world!! *HUGS*

Officers set up fund for slain infant
Money will help mother pay for funeral expenses

By DANIELLE QUISENBERRY
Times Herald

For more than a year, Savannah Kettlewell has been receiving monthly reminders of her infant son's untimely death.

She still owes money for Michael Ray Kettlewell's funeral and gets regular bills, months after the 3-month old died and his father, Michael Ray Dheel, was charged with his death.

To help her move past the incident, Port Huron Detective Duane Loxton and Lt. Jim Jones and his wife, Renee, have set up a "Michael Fund" to pay the $1,800 that Kettlewell, who lives in Macomb Township, owes to a funeral home.

"I'm just so happy people are really helpful in a time of need," Kettlewell said. "I was just shocked; it made me cry."

http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/p...702170309/1002
Computer Specs

19-Feb-2007, 12:15 AM #1049
Hi Marlene,
I must thank you for the update and reading the paper every day.... I agree with you Detective loxton is a one of a kind... He has been there for me from day one .. always looking out for me and the family.. He still calls to check on me once and a while.. he never missed a beat not even one court case.. Marry palmateer was always there for me as well.. I have new found faith in the PHPD I really do .. I am absolutely amazed....

19-Feb-2007, 09:41 AM #1050
You're welcome Savannah! Pretty soon the funeral expenses will no longer be a worry to you......and yes the PHPD are a fine group of those who serve the Port Huron community...even in ways we wouldn't think of! Best of luck at your job and at raising your children to the best of your ability...I know what it's like to be a single Mom...our children come first over all else!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!