Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Random Discussion Random Discussion
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I rear ended someone, how will this affect my car insurance policy?

(!)

Member with 355 posts.

03-Jul-2003, 01:53 PM #1
I rear ended someone, how will this affect my car insurance policy?
ok i'm bummed out

I had a perfect driving record for years and now i had a accident and it was all my fault. I rear ended this lady but that was 2 years ago!! NOW they (her insurance company) contact me for payment!!

ok, here's my question. How will this affect my insurance riate now? Will it raise alot now i had an accident? Will after a couple of years or so Will it be back to normal?

please let me know. This is my first accident (no cops were involved, we just exchange numbers) so i want to know how much incease will this have on my insurance policy now. thank you!!
Senior Member with 3,178 posts.

Experience: Slapping around Mulder for years now
03-Jul-2003, 02:10 PM #2
Depends...

Where do you live (rates can vary with countries/states)?
How old are you?
How long have you been with your current insurer?
How large is the claim?
How long have you been insured (since first getting your license)?

Honestly? Your rate is very likely to increase. How much it does depends on a number of factors.
Senior Member with 4,168 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jul-2003, 02:23 PM #3
The big question is why two years later! I would want to see what was turned into them and WHEN. Did something else happen to her car that she may have wanted to get fixed on someone elses penny?

03-Jul-2003, 02:38 PM #4
Quote:
The big question is why two years later! I would want to see what was turned into them and WHEN. Did something else happen to her car that she may have wanted to get fixed on someone elses penny?
The insurance company will investigate this. The Claims investigators that I've met are quite effecient at their jobs.
Computer Specs
Moderator - Gone but never forgotten with 47,973 posts.

Experience: Getting somewhere I hope
03-Jul-2003, 03:18 PM #5
My friends had a similar experience, it was with their daughter. The two years (in their case) was due to statue (sp?) of limitations.
Always remembered in our hearts with 82,163 posts.

Experience: Learning it all here!
04-Jul-2003, 12:29 AM #6
So you never reported the accident to your insurance company in the first place? I tend to doubt they will assist you in any claim now against you from the accident. I believe they will increase your rates once they are aware of the accident....especially due to an unreported "at fault" accident. Is she suing you just for the repairs to her auto? I think in the case of an accident that involves rear-ending someone it is best to file a police report. Seems the honest thing to do too as you can't trust the word of a stranger. Had she asked you originally to pay for her damages? Was the damage to her car significant or minor? Good luck in this. Take care. angel
June 18, 2007: My niece Christi had her baby GIRL! 10:15 a.m.....Emily Debra....7 Lbs. 10 Ozs....21" in length. She has a little dark hair...moves her lips and mouth so sweetly...has pretty petite features...thank you God!!

04-Jul-2003, 12:36 AM #7
Found this online:

Generally, your premium will increase a small percentage for three years for each accident that is primarily your fault.

Any delay in reporting will make it difficult for your insurer to obtain evidence to represent you.

Even if the damage is small, you take a risk if you don’t report the accident. If you are sued weeks or months later and have not reported the accident, your insurer may refuse to honor your policy.

04-Jul-2003, 12:40 AM #8
Hi: Back again! A quick question.....is the amount of damages something you can readily afford? Because if you intend to pay the damages...do you really need to report it to your insurer? Is the lady reporting it to your insurer? A double edged sword here for sure! Take care. angel
Member with 4,874 posts.

04-Jul-2003, 12:44 AM #9
...your rates are gonna go ^^^^^

04-Jul-2003, 12:44 AM #10
Hi Don!
Member with 4,874 posts.

04-Jul-2003, 12:47 AM #11
hi there..........
Member with 355 posts.

04-Jul-2003, 03:30 AM #12
well it's like this. We are both new at this and was in awe. We didn't know what to do. So i gave her my name and number and address. That's it.. No we did not exchange policies, she didn't even take down my License plate number!! we was like in shock!!

Her insurance company Geico Said they did try to contact me by letter and that i never reply?? What the fudge? First of all I was waiting for two weeks for a phone call from her or her insurance company. nothing. And if they did send a "Letter" they should be smart enough to WRITE IMPORTANT on it and not just from Gecio..

They should know that WE receive many many Junk mail in our mailers for insurance compaines!!! Well, they finally got a hold of me by Phone (after 2 years?) and I could have paid it on my own and didn't have to report it... I WAS thinking about it

it was for $1,800.00 i told the rep to send me a bill and i'll look over it.. Yep they sent it in a regular letter with just geico on it.. I mean Come On!! with all the junk mails we get They should have made it Stand out that It wasn't solication.

Here's the strange part.. MY insurance company called me and ask me about it and gave me a claim number??? WHAT? I never gave Geico any infomation about my carrier so i guess They looked it up on their own!!

Quick Notes:

The lady i rammed into, her insurance company took care of it for her. Me and her is no longer involved. No lawsuit nothing.

cost: $1,800.00...

How much will this affect me? remember i do have a perfect record and been with my Underwriter for 3 or 4 years or more. How much difference will this cost me? any estimates from your personal experience is appreciated.

04-Jul-2003, 09:09 AM #13
Her insurance company is trying to get re-imbursed (since she wasn't at fault).

So what happened was, you hit her, she filed a claim with her insurance company, and they paid for her repairs. Then her insurance company contacts YOUR insurance company to get re-imbursed.

Most of the insurance companies share information, so it wouldn't be difficult for Geico to contact your carrier.

Your premium will increase when you next renew it. If you're over 25, it might not be that bad. I had a friend who slid into a guard rail on the highway, causing about $4500 (Ca) in damage to his car. His premium only increased by $18 per month.
TechGuy   (Mike) TechGuy is offline TechGuy has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,887 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2003, 09:53 AM #14
I know that some carriers (like Erie Insurance) have a forgiveness policy for your first accident... (I haven't had to use it yet!)
sdc
Guest with n/a posts.

04-Jul-2003, 10:03 AM #15
Here if it is under $500 dollars worth of Damage there doesn't need to be a police report!

That has me blinking alittle

Should have been an accident report!
Who is to say what damage is new or?
The police report specifies the areas of damage ect.
I would think about what transpired and if you are going to get ripped off?
Are you going to pay more for the damage than it is worth?
Where is the proof of damage and the Police report of damage?
HMMMMM
Sounds close to a court proceeding to me!

Burden of proof in damages is foggy here!!

WEBFISH
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!